The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In a case like this, if it happened early in the game, you might want to consider mentioning it to your daughter's coach during a break, if appropriate. Have the coach ask one of the guy's partners politely. There shouldn't be a problem if the coach is just requesting a rule interp.

If, by some miracle, the coach actually has a rule book, you could even point out the rule and have the coach do the same with the official. Of course, that's a bazillion to one shot.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:21pm
M.A.S.H.

I probably would have done exactly as you did by showing your daughter the rule followed by a visual example. You also did right, imo, by telling her that she's going to have to play like this during this game and not to say anything.

I would not write a letter or do anything with the official. I would hope that someone in his association would catch this issue.... but if it hasn't been corrected yet, maybe not.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You could perhaps write a letter to his association leadership, but I'd hesitate to do that. This is such an annoyance to me, though, I doubt I could stop myself from writing that letter.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You could perhaps write a letter to his association leadership, but I'd hesitate to do that. This is such an annoyance to me, though, I doubt I could stop myself from writing that letter.
Thanks for the ideas! I thought about my situation all day and I know the head reff of this remiss official's association. The head reff has called state tournaments and I have reffed with him in conferene games in the past. He's a 10+ guy both on and off the court. I think I will write him and let him decide what to do. In questioning my daughter further, she asked the two reffs during the captains meeting before the game started about the designated spot throwin and actually moving, she said the younger reff said she could move in the three foot area but not back, the older confused reff said you had to keep a pivot foot so obviously the younger reff backed down. I must say it still pisses me off.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to accomplish this task, it is time to hang them up.

In OTHER cases, the officials have decided how they are going to call the game and they have NO INTEREST in keeping up from an education perspective...they need to step aside.

For those officials not interested in putting forth the effort to stay up with the rules, PLEASE step aside and give way to the newer officials who ARE willing to put forth the effort.
I dont disagree, but why belabor the point?
Its naive to think that one would say "Im hanging it up because I dont want to get better". Everyone has their own motivations on what they choose to do or not do. People are promoted or demoted, by others with the authority, rarely by personal choice.
By asking "Please" on this site, I'm curious who you think you're speaking to? Dont you think any official who visits this site probably desires to learn/become better?
I'm guessing, and dont need an answer, that your venting is based in a personal frustration...
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There are some people who are only in it for the money. They complain loudest and longest if receipt of game fees are delayed. They often boast about how many games they do. Sounds like the OP is looking at an association who is not well trained perhaps or has some in the first mentioned category doing JV games. In any event, it may be something for the coach and or AD to handle by contacting the association.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Let it go without a word. It is not your duty to educate all of the uninformed HS officials out there, and you can't do so anyway.
Prove to your daughter that you are correct by having her read the 20 rules fundamentals (no dribbling or traveling rules during a throw-in) and the relevant case book play, then go on with your happy lives without concerning yourselves with some old-timer who most likely doesn't care to learn the rule anyway. If he doesn't know it by now, he isn't going to change the way that he calls this.

I've found that very few people are interested in hearing that they did something incorrectly.

From pot calling kettle black department.

You could have fooled me...........

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 12:46pm.