Thread: What to Do?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Spent the last two days watching my daughter play HS basketball. In Fridays game I noticed when she went to put the ball into play at a designated throw in spot, the defender was right at the line like they usually are and this was causing her some difficulty. I told her that night to simply step back a couple of feet. Told her she could go back ten feet if the gym allowed but she had to stay in the 3' zone that she was standing in when she recieved the ball. Well tonights game is going along and she goes to make a throwin and gets the ball and steps straight back towards the wall. REff blows the whistle, and gives the traveling signal! WTH?? Of course I'm mortified! I don't say anything from the stands, but I see her at half time and ask what did the reff say to you? "He said I have to maintain a pivot foot during the throwin. I told her he is dead wrong and I'll show her later that I'm right. I also told her she is going to have to play the game his way and don't move once he gives you the ball for a throwin. Now my question is what should I do? I'm not a member of this official's association. Should I just ignore his ignorance and let it drop, or should I mail him the rule and hope for the best? My gut tells me to do nothing because I feel a bit out of line correcting a senior reff who isn't part of my association. Were I ever to call a game with him I would have no problem talking to him in private. He's probably 60+ and reffed way more than I have. Any suggestions?
YIKES!!! This individual obivously flat out does not know the rule. As a coach, I am certainly going to have the official "consult" with HIS partners during a break. I will also request that the individual look the play up in a the Rules Book at halftime as the rule has, uh, "changed recently."

Not knowing the rule on a last-touch-first-touch backcourt violation may cost a team the ball ONE TIME during a game. Not knowing the rule on the backcourt violation exceptions on a throw-in may, once again, cost a team the ball ONE TIME during a game.

Not knowing that an inbounder can step back to relieve pressure during a throw-in may, in fact, alter the outcome of a game. If a team has a big and active defender on the ball during a full-court press, preventing the offensive player from stepping back allows a defender to significantly decrease any chance of improving a passing angle.

This individual MUST be informed ASAP that he MUST learn this rule. Being completely honest, if I am in the stands as a parent, I will have a REALLY HARD TIME not saying anything to him and subsequently his partners. Once again, this lack of rules knowledge potentially has a MAJOR INFLUENCE on the outcome of a game. I would absolutely send an e-mail to the assignor for this league and/or the head of the individual's association (assuming that he has not already "figured it out" during halftime of the game).

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 10, 2010 at 07:29am.