Thread: What to Do?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Let it go without a word. It is not your duty to educate all of the uninformed HS officials out there, and you can't do so anyway.

Prove to your daughter that you are correct by having her read the 20 rules fundamentals (no dribbling or traveling rules during a throw-in) and the relevant case book play, then go on with your happy lives without concerning yourselves with some old-timer who most likely doesn't care to learn the rule anyway. If he doesn't know it by now, he isn't going to change the way that he calls this.

I've found that very few people are interested in hearing that they did something incorrectly.
Nevada,
While I don't disagree with your statements, I can tell you that at least in Central Ohio, we have MORE THAN ENOUGH basketball officials (such is NOT the case in soccer ). Therefore, if we have a 60+ year old official who does not care to learn the rules, it is time for said official to hang up the whistle. It is not fair to the players and the coaches for an official to be uninterested in knowing the rules.