The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Fiveum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eurasia - no, Myasia
Posts: 302
Question You make da call

NF rules. A1 passes to A2. A2 bats (not catches) the ball down to the floor and pins it there. While his hands are on top of the ball pressing down, he drops to his knees. Travel? Remember, he's wasn't "holding" the ball when his knees touched the floor, just pushing on it. Is there a difference?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:33am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
You said it. He wasn't holding the ball. No travel.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:12pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
4-44
Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 88
Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 03:42pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
I vote for no travel.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
4-44
traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.
+1
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).
Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:21pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.

Good case Hugh, play on though.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 10:12pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.
I don't get it.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."
He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:09pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.
Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:10am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?
If you hadn't asked this question, I probably would have, but now I wouldn't.
The player with the ball pinned is neither holding nor dribbling it. There is no player control, so no timeout.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?
Actually was going to use that question instead, but the thought of the guy leaning on his arm running around in circles was more amusing.

Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.
Which criterion of 'player control' has this player satisfied?
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 572
Ok...player has hands big enought to palm the basketball. Now, is the player holding it, even though it's on the floor?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I Make The Right Call? Al Softball 8 Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:35pm
You make the call! BktBallRef Basketball 49 Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:55am
What call do you make? xxssmen Basketball 12 Thu Nov 18, 2004 06:33pm
You Make the Call #2` Bagman62 Softball 12 Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:04am
What call would you make? Gre144 Baseball 1 Tue Mar 20, 2001 10:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1