The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make da call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56345-you-make-da-call.html)

Hugh Refner Sat Jan 09, 2010 08:50pm

You make da call

NF rules. A1 passes to A2. A2 bats (not catches) the ball down to the floor and pins it there. While his hands are on top of the ball pressing down, he drops to his knees. Travel? Remember, he's wasn't "holding" the ball when his knees touched the floor, just pushing on it. Is there a difference?

just another ref Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:33am

You said it. He wasn't holding the ball. No travel.

tjones1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:12pm

4-44
Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

Anchor Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:27pm

Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).

APG Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:42pm

I vote for no travel.

mbyron Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 649756)
4-44
traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

+1

BktBallRef Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 649761)
Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).

Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."

Adam Sun Jan 10, 2010 09:21pm

A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.

Good case Hugh, play on though.

just another ref Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649864)
A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.

I don't get it.

Anchor Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 649786)
Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."

He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.

Adam Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 649890)
He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.

Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?

just another ref Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649920)
Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?

If you hadn't asked this question, I probably would have, but now I wouldn't.
The player with the ball pinned is neither holding nor dribbling it. There is no player control, so no timeout.

Anchor Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649920)

Actually was going to use that question instead, but the thought of the guy leaning on his arm running around in circles was more amusing.

Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.

mbyron Mon Jan 11, 2010 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 650004)
Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.

Which criterion of 'player control' has this player satisfied?

FrankHtown Mon Jan 11, 2010 01:23pm

Ok...player has hands big enought to palm the basketball. Now, is the player holding it, even though it's on the floor?