The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Don't forget the T for the ugly tie he is probably wearing, too.
The ugly tie actually is grounds for immediate ejection!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

left foot on court = 1 Tech
right foot on court = 1 Tech
Catching ball = 1 tech
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 01:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
The ugly tie actually is grounds for immediate ejection!
You missed the AAU reference. Which was all that was needed to know this was going to be a T. The next AAU coach I see wearing a tie will be the first one. And 10' onto the court probably means the guy was venturing out there further and further and the crew did not want to take care of business. And they still didn't when the situation occurred.

Q: What do you call a guy who has officiated no higher than the JV level after 25 years?
A: That guy.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
You missed the AAU reference. Which was all that was needed to know this was going to be a T. The next AAU coach I see wearing a tie will be the first one. And 10' onto the court probably means the guy was venturing out there further and further and the crew did not want to take care of business. And they still didn't when the situation occurred.

Q: What do you call a guy who has officiated no higher than the JV level after 25 years?
A: That guy.

Now here is the odd part. This was a 3-man crew, two of whom I know do varsity games, with the third being a younger guy who was working his way up to that level. He is the one that gave me the "explanation" on not calling the tech.
I am still not sure why the two experienced officials did not get involved. There were evaluators present from a local association who were using part of this tournament for training/evaluations for those wanting to move up the next season (or so they explained to me later), and the impression I got was they left the newbie swinging in the breeze to see how he would handle it.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 01:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
Now here is the odd part. This was a 3-man crew, two of whom I know do varsity games, with the third being a younger guy who was working his way up to that level. He is the one that gave me the "explanation" on not calling the tech.
I am still not sure why the two experienced officials did not get involved. There were evaluators present from a local association who were using part of this tournament for training/evaluations for those wanting to move up the next season (or so they explained to me later), and the impression I got was they left the newbie swinging in the breeze to see how he would handle it.
He handled it as well as they handled it.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
He handled it as well as they handled it.
Agreed. They should have made the call and talked to him about it later. They should have also put baby back into the corner.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 02:46pm
Huck Finn

If I was the other coach you would probably have to throw me out.

Think of all the chaos that we would have if we let each coach have the opportunity to catch one pass per game. It would introduce a whole new strategy. Why only go 10 feet onto the court, why not all the way to the other side. Shoot, on a key possession the coach should just get under the hoop and play D.

Ridiculous.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A coach 10 feet on the court is going to get at least a warning from me (and only one).
A warning? Are you serious?

This is a no-brainer T.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Coach - I'm only going to tell you this once. You can't be 10 feet out on the floor - I simply will not tolerate that. You stay within 8 feet of the sideline or I'm going to have to do something drastic! I mean it.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

This is a no-brainer T.
Note I said "at least." I say that because I'm averse to the term "automatic."

If he's requesting a timeout and he's completely out of the play, I'll give him one warning. That's the only thing I can come up with that might mitigate the call, though.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Well it's another good lesson for me ; what not to do !
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If he's requesting a timeout and he's completely out of the play, I'll give him one warning. That's the only thing I can come up with that might mitigate the call, though.
Unfortunately, too many people hold this opinion. They seem to believe that it is okay for the coach to run out onto the court to request a time-out. I'm not in the camp which excuses that.

The coaches need to understand that they have to communicate their request from within the confines of the coaching box. Perhaps they could learn to have their players echo the request.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You would think so, wouldn't you? I brought this up because of the advantage/disadvantage discussion I read and how it related to violations.

The ball was awarded to Team B on the sideline. The explanation given was that "A1 was going to throw the ball away anyway, so Team B did not gain an advantage by the coach being on the court. A1 should have realized he was not passing to a teammate. If Coach B was between A1 and a teammate, I would call a technical on him."
Awarded to Team B? Yeah that's the kind of bizzare, twisted, unjustified by a rule book, self will imposed ruling, that creates howler monkeys out of otherwise well behaved coaches. Not that monkeys howling is ever justified, just to point out this is how you create one out of nothing.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
14U boys AAU tournament in the 1st half. Team B is applying a full court press on Team A. Team B traps A1 on the sideline in the backcourt. A1 steps through the trap, and fires a pass downcourt that is caught...by Team B's coach, who is standing about 10' on the court (he is inside the 3-point line).
Call?
See ya!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
Awarded to Team B? Yeah that's the kind of bizzare, twisted, unjustified by a rule book, self will imposed ruling, that creates howler monkeys out of otherwise well behaved coaches. Not that monkeys howling is ever justified, just to point out this is how you create one out of nothing.
I have coached over 700 games at different levels, and have around 7 total technicals. That was one of them. And I would do it again. I.just.could.not.accept.that.logic.