The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Post by Ref Daddy below on T'ing the coach brought up an instance in our Girls Varsity game last night.

As we were heading toward his end of the court the coach would frequently take a step or two into the court to yell instructions. Very early, running down the court toward him, I asked him to make sure and stay behind the line. Then adding, as I passed him that I run close to the line and didn't want to run into him. He said something like "oh sure, sure, sorry" and he seemed sincere.

A few more possessions and he's back on the court as we transition. I say "coach, back please" and then to his assistant sitting down, "hey, would you hold him back please?".

He's good for a few more possessions, then back on the court.

I probably said it 6 or 7 times during the game and he was always "yeah, sure, sorry". It was a close game, 52-54, and the coach's behavior otherwise was very very good.

Question (finally), should I have T'd him; did I wait too long/warn too much?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

After telling him once or twice on the run, I would give him one final warning during a dead ball. Then, he's made his choice.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs

...I probably said it 6 or 7 times during the game and he was always "yeah, sure, sorry". It was a close game, 52-54, and the coach's behavior otherwise was very very good.

LepTal,
Do what is customary for your area.
Our polite coaches wander a little. But do not lose sight of the fact that there are two coaches and they should be allowed the same length of rope.

Once we bend a rule, it may snap back and hit us in the face.
mick
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Tolerated tooo long

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
After telling him once or twice on the run, I would give him one final warning during a dead ball. Then, he's made his choice.
I concur, it is important that the warning is done early in the game and enforced thereafter, because you do not want this issue "simmering" until you reach a boiling point (issue the T) when the game is nearing the end (especially if it is a "tight" game).
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 01:18pm
Administrator

Maybe you should have done a Warren Sapp number on him, and then said: "Oops! Sorry coach, I did not see you standing there."
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Maybe you should have done a Warren Sapp number on him, and then said: "Oops! Sorry coach, I did not see you standing there."

MTD,Sr.

Interesting that you mentioned that...

I was officiating a JV game last year were the coach stood up and stepped out to call a TO. Unfortunately, it was the same time as a loose ball scramble occured in front me and the bench (table-side trail). In my effort to avoid interfering in the play, I backed out and levelled the coach. He got up and stated that was one of the toughest hits he had taken in years. Several years back, he was an all-conference linebacker at a nearby college.