The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

NIT game last night, very end of first half. Coach Mike Davis for IU was about 10 ft. or more on the court in the official's face while play was going on. Wanted a foul call on the other end on a three-pt attempt by Bracey Wright. Davis, IMO, actually interfed with the official's ability to call the continuing action. Heck, he could've almost blocked the Vandy kid's desperation shot! Why was no T issued in this case?? Did the officials just want to get to halftime (only about 2 secs. to play at the time).
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Are you sure this wasn't last year's OFSAA bronze?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by closely_guarded
NIT game last night, very end of first half. Coach Mike Davis for IU was about 10 ft. or more on the court in the official's face while play was going on. Wanted a foul call on the other end on a three-pt attempt by Bracey Wright. Davis, IMO, actually interfed with the official's ability to call the continuing action. Heck, he could've almost blocked the Vandy kid's desperation shot! Why was no T issued in this case?? Did the officials just want to get to halftime (only about 2 secs. to play at the time).
Probably because every technical foul that a referee calls in college is scrutinized a million times by assignors and others. What could you have done to avoid it? Was there a call you missed prior to the coach coming on the floor that you could have made?

College coaches can run up and down the sidelines raving like lunatics and it's just accepted as the norm. Since nothing is done about it, I can only assume that college officials are being told to let the coaches go nuts unless they toss a chair, assault an official, or set a pick on the other teams best player.

Z
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by closely_guarded
Probably because every technical foul that a referee calls in college is scrutinized a million times by assignors and others. What could you have done to avoid it? Was there a call you missed prior to the coach coming on the floor that you could have made?

College coaches can run up and down the sidelines raving like lunatics and it's just accepted as the norm. Since nothing is done about it, I can only assume that college officials are being told to let the coaches go nuts unless they toss a chair, assault an official, or set a pick on the other teams best player.

Z
On the contrary, have a look for the thread on Hank Nichol's latest memo. He wants the coaches' box rule enforced. But perhaps no official wants to be the one who discovers that he doesn't want it enforced *that* tightly?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I didn't see the game so I don't know about being on the floor, but I did catch the highlights of him ranting and raving at the officials all the way into the locker room. Didn't Indiana get rid of a guy for being a jerk not long ago?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

On the contrary, have a look for the thread on Hank Nichol's latest memo. He wants the coaches' box rule enforced. But perhaps no official wants to be the one who discovers that he doesn't want it enforced *that* tightly?
What Hank Nichol's wants and what NCAA assignors want doesn't always match!

Davis was out on the court because Gerry Pollard missed a foul on Bracey Wright's 3-point attempt. It was pretty obvious...and I'm not sure what Pollard was looking at...but I guess he had his reasons for not calling it. Davis should have DEFINITELY gotten a T for being out on the court during a LIVE ball!!! He blocked Frank Spencer's view of the shot at the end of the half!!!!
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Indy,
I'm just asking because I saw this as I was getting ready for work this morning so I wasn't really watching closely. On the 3 point attempt, at my casual glance it looked like the shooter may have initiated all of the contact and the defender jumped straight up, causing the no call. Am I completely off base on this?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
That may be what Hank wants, but it sure ain't what Hank is getting.

We had a D-1 college official come to one of our HS association meetings last season and he apologized for the lack of bench decorum we see in college games. He basically said that his assignors don't want technical fouls unless the coach committs an act that warrants the death penalty.

Z
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 06:12pm
M.A.S.H.

I was watching this game and I actually didn't even notice Davis on the court until the show the replay. Not really sure why nothing was done, but I thought it probably should of been a T.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Except that the assignor for the NIT is Fred Backarat of the ACC . . .
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Indy,
I'm just asking because I saw this as I was getting ready for work this morning so I wasn't really watching closely. On the 3 point attempt, at my casual glance it looked like the shooter may have initiated all of the contact and the defender jumped straight up, causing the no call. Am I completely off base on this?
Yes Junker, IMHO you are off-base. Wright faked a 3-pointer to have his defender jump up and to him. The defender did NOT go straight up. If he did, then no-call would have been the right call. Unfortunately, he didn't...and Pollard chose to swallow the whistle. They showed more than one angle on the replay and I believe a foul should have been called. Wright didn't jump into the defender much at all. He basically went up BECAUSE he knew the defender was going to cream him.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe, just maybe that official agreed with Mike. Perhaps Mike's player did get fouled. If that is the case, and it wasn't this officials primary area, or even secondary area, hemay have thought giving a technical to Mike would make two wrongs. If I'm lead and saw that play out of the corner of my eye and its right infront of another official, I pass on it. If I'm C, thats a different story, I go and get it. I think Mike was yelling at the old lead, now new trail. How many times have we been yelled at by a coach for our partners judgement, right or wrong? I know I have.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Indy, like I said, I was getting ready for work and didn't see it closely. I was just bringing up a possiblity.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
Maybe, just maybe that official agreed with Mike. Perhaps Mike's player did get fouled. If that is the case, and it wasn't this officials primary area, or even secondary area, hemay have thought giving a technical to Mike would make two wrongs. If I'm lead and saw that play out of the corner of my eye and its right infront of another official, I pass on it. If I'm C, thats a different story, I go and get it. I think Mike was yelling at the old lead, now new trail. How many times have we been yelled at by a coach for our partners judgement, right or wrong? I know I have.
I'll occasionally take crap if I think I may have missed a call. But I won't take very much at all if it's about my partner. Coach on the court blocking my vision? That's going to get a T even if he's inviting me to his home for dinner that evening.