The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Player enters the court during the live ball

After a lenghty substitution involving multiple fouls, A5 thought she was out of the game, after the ball is put into play A5 runs onto the playing court. At one time, this was a technical foul, but in the current NFHS case book, since there wasn't an advantage, no technical should be called. I think the case book/rule is 10.2.3c, not sure, I don't have my current rule or case book in front of me. Can someone tell me when this rule was changed? I read it in the current case book where it states no technical should be called, and looking at a old 2004-2005 case book that a technical should be called. I was again, wondering when this changed. Thanks,

Last edited by JoeTheRef; Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 11:31am.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef View Post
After a lenghty substitution involving multiple fouls, A5 thought she was out of the game, after the ball is put into play A5 runs onto the playing court. At one time, this was a technical foul, but in the current NFHS case book, since there wasn't an advantage, no technical should be called. I think the case book/rule is 10.2.3c, not sure, I don't have my current rule or case book in front of me. Can someone tell me when this rule was changed? I read it in the current case book where it states no technical should be called, and looking at a old 2004-2005 case book that a technical should be called. I was again, wondering when this changed. Thanks,

2009/10 case book

10.3.2 SITUATION B: After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple
substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains
there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even
though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into
A’s frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The
coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches
up with the play. RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5’s return to
the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage
on the court.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I believe 08-09
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks IR.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

If the NF really wants consistancy from its officials, why make these rulings where judgement is required? So, as an official, you see someone run out on the court after his/her teamates have already entered the court and the ball is in play. Is it a T? No, not if there had been multiple substitutions and things could be confusing. Good grief.

What are the coaches responsible for? It's like Norm Chad's column this morning. If NFL coaches are so well paid and so smart, why do they need to be warned that there is 2 minutes left in the half/game?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef View Post
Thanks fullor30.
Fixed it for ya
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
2009/10 case book

10.3.2 SITUATION B: RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5’s return to
the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage
on the court.
I think I understand the rule wording, but just for discussion sake: 2nd half, Coach realizes only 4 on the floor and sends A5 out, who goes under her own basket as Team B misses shot, Team A rebounds and fires down court to A5 who makes the layup.
Unfair advantage so T?
But if A5 misses and B rebounds then nothing? Is it the act of trying to get an unfair advantage that results in the T?

Last edited by archangel; Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 01:23pm.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
I understand the rule, but just for discussion sake: 2nd half, Coach sends A5 out under her own basket as Team B misses shot, Team A rebounds and fires down court to A5 who makes the layup.
Unfair advantage so T? But if A5 misses and B rebounds then nothing? Is it the act of trying to get an unfair advantage that results in the T?
Give the T here, and try to do it before the shot is released. If she makes the shot and you whistle afterwards, they get to keep the points. If you kill it before she lets go, the shot won't count.