The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Picking nits

Okay, another thread had me reviewing 7-5-7b, and I think it should be worded better.

"A team retains this privelege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line."

It doesn't specify which end line. While we all know the intent of this rule, a strict reading could lead one to believe that if a common foul or defensive violation committed on the other end of the court would give the offense an endline throw-in under their own basket.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
okay, another thread had me reviewing 7-5-7b, and i think it should be worded better.

"a team retains this privelege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line."

it doesn't specify which end line. While we all know the intent of this rule, a strict reading could lead one to believe that if a common foul or defensive violation committed on the other end of the court would give the offense an endline throw-in under their own basket.
huh??

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Okay, another thread had me reviewing 7-5-7b, and I think it should be worded better.

"A team retains this privelege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line."

It doesn't specify which end line. While we all know the intent of this rule, a strict reading could lead one to believe that if a common foul or defensive violation committed on the other end of the court would give the offense an endline throw-in under their own basket.
I think the operative word is scoring.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:36pm
We don't rent pigs

I get it. Would this fix it?

Quote:
"A team retains this privelege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on that same end line."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you ?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 10:07pm
M.A.S.H.

I understand what you are getting at; however, I think Mark needs to give you some of his meds.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 11:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I understand what you are getting at; however, I think Mark needs to give you some of his meds.
I need to get on the court, that's for sure.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 10:10am
#thereferee99

That is my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you ?
... pet peeve when it comes to mechanics!
I HATE it when I have a partner use that one!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:44am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Did a team ever have the privilege of running the opposite end line? If they didn't have that privilege before, then it would be difficult to retain.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:44am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Did a team ever have the privilege of running the opposite end line? If they didn't have that privilege before, then it would be difficult to retain.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry, here's my scenario.
Endline throwin for A following a basket by B. A1 throws the ball long for A2 who is struggling to catch up with the ball. B1 is trailing A2 also trying to catch the ball. Just before A2 catches the ball, he is fouled by B1, and the ensuing spot will on the endline behind A's basket.

I know the intent of the rule, but a strict reading of this rule could lead one to grant A an endline throwin under its own basket.

I know, maybe too much rum in my Coke.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 12:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Sorry, here's my scenario.
Endline throwin for A following a basket by B. A1 throws the ball long for A2 who is struggling to catch up with the ball. B1 is trailing A2 also trying to catch the ball. Just before A2 catches the ball, he is fouled by B1, and the ensuing spot will on the endline behind A's basket.

I know the intent of the rule, but a strict reading of this rule could lead one to grant A an endline throwin under its own basket.

A strict reading of the rules tells me this play would result in a spot throw-in on the end line.

As opposed to what you said......which was?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If Any Coke At All ???

Quote:
Most likely too little Coke in your rum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)