The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 07:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2009's wildest moments in high school sports

We've talked about poor behavior a bit lately. Below is from Today's Washington Post. Some stories have been posted before, others are new. Enjoy!

Varsity Letter - By Preston Williams - December 31, 2009

Why, it must be time for the annual spin around the country to ponder the wild and the wacky from the world of high school sports in 2009.

Portland, Ore. -- A father, allegedly unhappy with his son's playing time, hired a private investigator to tail the basketball coach, instructing her to call authorities if the coach was drinking and driving.

Kirkland, Ill. -- After only one person confessed, school officials canceled the remainder of a boys' basketball season because of urine the players had left on floors and toilet seats in another school's locker room.

Poultney, Vt. -- A junior varsity basketball coach -- who had told referees they needed to take command of the game or he would take action -- received a life ban from coaching in Vermont after tripping an opposing player.

Valparaiso, Ind. -- An upset fan who attacked a basketball referee after a game was arrested by the ref himself, a moonlighting Indiana State Police officer. "You can't arrest me; you're a referee!" the fan said in between shoves of the trooper-referee.

Allentown, Pa. -- A girls' basketball coach, angered by the heckling of a player's father, was found not guilty of disorderly conduct after he went into the crowd during a game and allegedly placed his hands around the man's neck. "As long as you're yelling, your daughter doesn't play," the coach told the dad. (My personal favorite)

Litchfield, Ill. -- Two boys' basketball players, suspected of stealing cash and iPods from players from another school while sharing a locker room at a tournament site, were arrested for the crimes while their game was going on.

Cut Bank, Mont. -- A boys' basketball team was forced to forfeit its game after a player, dunking during warmups, shattered the glass backboard, violating a state postseason rule.

Fair Oaks, Calif. -- An athletic league appeals committee reversed the result of a boys' basketball game after one team was awarded 18 technical free throws -- the shooter made 17 of them -- with 12.3 seconds left in the game. The team should have shot six free throws.

These are just basketball. Entire article is at:2009's wildest moments in high school sports - washingtonpost.com
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 09:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Fair Oaks, Calif. -- An athletic league appeals committee reversed the result of a boys' basketball game after one team was awarded 18 technical free throws -- the shooter made 17 of them -- with 12.3 seconds left in the game. The team should have shot six free throws.
Anybody here know the full story? Has it been posted here?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 09:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This One Is My Personal Favorite ...

Quote:
An upset fan who attacked a basketball referee after a game was arrested by the ref himself, a moonlighting Indiana State Police officer. "You can't arrest me; you're a referee!" the fan said in between shoves of the trooper-referee.
grunewar: Thanks for sharing. It could happen. I've worked several games with a Connecticut state trooper. Coaches don't give him any problems, or they get a ticket. Happy New Year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 31, 2009 at 09:08pm.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Anybody here know the full story? Has it been posted here?
Was this handled correctly?

HS protest after EIGHTEEN free throws given

Committee awards win to Bella Vista boys hoops team - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 09:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coming To A Theater Near You, Soon ...

The Amazing Archive Man.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Litchfield, Ill. -- Two boys' basketball players, suspected of stealing cash and iPods from players from another school while sharing a locker room at a tournament site, were arrested for the crimes while their game was going on.
Something similar to this happened in the league I officiate for. I can't remember the teams or anything like that, but it was Girls JV/V team. As visitors, this one team stole sneakers and all sorts of other stuff from the school they were visiting. When the bus made it back to their school, cops were waiting. Turns out the janitor went into the locker room to clean up and noticed a lot of stuff was missing. He called the AD who came in and said that there should be sneakers and stuff. They called the other team's coach and they agreed to call the cops, not letting the girls know of their returning-home surprise. Every girl on the bus had to open up their bag and if they had even just one thing not of their belonging, they were arrested on the spot. The school canceled the rest of their season after that as well.

Now that I think of it, it wasn't a 2009 event, I think it was the 2007-08 season. But still, thought it was worth mentioning
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Time To Start 2010 List ...

Quote:
We've talked about poor behavior a bit lately. It must be time for the annual spin around the country to ponder the wild and the wacky from the world of sports in 2009.
Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.
Does this happen next year?
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2010ish ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Does this happen next year?
Woke up to read the story online before I logged onto the Forum. I'm sure that it was published to late to be included on any type of 2009 list. This has Sports Illustrated's "Sign of the Apocalypse" written all over it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 01, 2010 at 12:09pm.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Woke up to read the story online before I logged onto the Forum. I'm sure that it was published to late to be included on any type of 2009 list. This has Sports Illustrated's "Sign of the Apocalypse" written all over it.
I'm not nearly as surprised as they seem to be, then.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
The Amazing Archive Man.
Do you now take back half the bad stuff you ever said about him ?
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Can you believe it?!?!

Shawnee, Kan. -- A gymnastics team posted the best score at the state meet but dropped to third after officials deducted a point because the coach had asked about her team's balance beam scores after the window in which she was allowed to inquire.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You're Surprised?

Quote:
C'mon, this is DC ya know!?
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C'mon, this is DC ya know!?
So they thought that they were playing for the Washington Bullets?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 07:43am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Extra!!! Extra!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So they thought that they were playing for the Washington Bullets?
The Washington Yiddishe Knoodle has just reported the family of recently deceased Wizards owner, Abe Pollin, were assessed a $3500 fee from the Washington Hebrew Cemetery, to cover costs associated with returning his remains to his original gravesite. Seems his coffin had mysteriously moved 3 plots to the west.

RIP Abe.....