The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:30am
In Memoriam

High School Sports

There's a good article in USA Today this morning on the evolution of high school basketball into television programming.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...el-cover_x.htm

Some personal thoughts:
- A high school can and will set a more rigorous schedule than the NBA.
- The same high school will ignore the fact that there are exams scheduled that week for it's players.
- If a high school is getting $25,000 for a tv game, does anybody really think that high school actually cares if that game is regarded as being more important than exams?
- Len Elmore, as usual, stands out like a beacon in the darkness from the babble of talking heads on ESPN. He is one of the few there that I will actually listen to. The others have MUTE ME printed on their foreheads imo.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Len Elmore has always been one of my favorites...going back to his days at Maryland. He was my councillor at Pete Maravich's Basketball Camp two years in a row.

We watched that phenomonem a few years ago when Akron St Vincent/St Marys did the Look at LeBron National Tour. The school was criticized for exploiting the young man as they were reaping the benefit of having The Chosen One on their team.

My Dad was right when he said television is evil.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Yep, big money comes to a select few in the high school ranks now.

speaking of big money, the R in this picture from the article must have just pulled a roll of 20's out of his pocket to get the attention he's getting at that captain's meeting

Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:32am
Huck Finn

It is a pretty sad situation, but one we knew was coming considering the money that is out there. I guess, at the end of the day, the only thing we can do is officiate the game straight down the middle regardless of who the star player is supposed to be on any given night.
I also think Len Elmore says some things that are right on point.
I had the pleasure of officiating one of these matchups, although it wasn't on national TV - it was on local cable. My only regret is one player should have received a technical foul for taunting (I didn't see it during the game, I saw it on the video) and Tywon Lawson was called for a phantom foul that put Kevin Durant at the line for three shots.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Whoaaaaaa......

It's obvious that game wasn't played in North Carolina. The captains don't have their shirts tucked in.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But Mayo got a West Virginia circuit court judge to issue a temporary restraining order, allowing him to play and help Huntington beat Artesia 73-66.
This judge should be impeached or removed from office. He has no jurisdiction to enter such an order.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Why doesnt the judge have jurisdiction here?

Most High School Activites Associations are either official or quasi-official bodies.

If I remember right the TRO was issued because there was a question about due process in place to appeal the suspension. The TRO was not to determine if the T's were appropriate-but that suspension should have an appeal process.

Due process issues in this situation are always under the jurisdiction of a court...
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Very good article. I have disagreed with high school sports being televised nationally for some time. As an educator, I think its horrible that the students are out of school that much. Are they there for an education or to play hoops. The college problems are just going to trickle down to the high school level.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
due process in place to appeal the suspension
Even if this were true, the first rule of administrative law is to exhaust all administrative remedies prior to complaining to a court for legal (or equitable) remedies. Can you tell me for sure this was done? Besides, there's no legal requirement of "due process" in athletic suspensions. It may be laid out in the school district's policy, a student code of conduct or (unlikely) state statute, but if it is, I can guarantee you that the administrative relief process is likely quite long.

Further the general requirements for a TRO couldn't possibly have been met. There must be a pending irreparable harm (none here; not playing in a game is not legally harmful), where a legal (i.e. money damages) remedy is inadequate (none here), and the injunction is the least restrictive means for attaining the relief requested.

A TRO is for situations like where your house is going to be sold and demolished if you don't act soon. It isn't for a player to play in a game.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yep, big money comes to a select few in the high school ranks now.

speaking of big money, the R in this picture from the article must have just pulled a roll of 20's out of his pocket to get the attention he's getting at that captain's meeting

that looks like SoCal - the R in that picture I know him and have worked off season games with him. He has the BEST mechanics I have ever seen and is a very, very good official. But honestly his mechanics are flawless.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
As an educator, I think its horrible that the students are out of school that much. Are they there for an education or to play hoops.
What is the purpose of education? To learn how to take tests?

For some of these kids a television appearance may be the highlight of their lives.

Is another paper on some Jane Austen book or a trigonometry test really more important to their education than this?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf

For some of these kids a television appearance may be the highlight of their lives.

Is another paper on some Jane Austen book or a trigonometry test really more important to their education than this?

It's certainly not to play basketball. These are students first and athletes second.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:51am
Huck Finn

Quote:

WOW. Are you serious?

What will the vast majority of these kids do when they grow up? It sure won't be playing in the NBA, NFL or MLB.
I thought the purpose of high school as a whole was to get an education. A single book report or test might not matter for the whole, but they are one piece of the puzzle.
There is only a need for so many ditch diggers!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Isn't that exactly the problem? If they focus on education, maybe their lives will be more rewarding than a TV appearance.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes. Basketball is a game. It has got absolutely nothing to do with education.