The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:41am
In Time Out

Shot clock- kick ball

Is this correct for HS. I keep seeing it restarted to 30 even if above 15.

SHOT CLOCK SITUATIONS
The shot clock is NOT RESET if a kicking violation occurs and the shot clock is 15 seconds or higher. If shot clock is below 15 seconds and a kicking violation occurs, the shot clock is set to 15 seconds.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Is this correct for HS. I keep seeing it restarted to 30 even if above 15.

SHOT CLOCK SITUATIONS
The shot clock is NOT RESET if a kicking violation occurs and the shot clock is 15 seconds or higher. If shot clock is below 15 seconds and a kicking violation occurs, the shot clock is set to 15 seconds.
I've always been told a kick ball is a violation, so the shot clock is reset, no matter how much time is on it.

Unfortunately I can't find a specific case play for this though
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

NFHS (high school) rules do NOT have a shot clock. The places that use one do so without the permission of the National Federation and so must provide their own rules for its use. Therefore, the correct ruling is whatever your local state/league says to do.

I can tell you that for California, the CIF modification states to reset the shot clock fully on all kicking violations.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS (high school) rules do NOT have a shot clock. The places that use one do so without the permission of the National Federation and so must provide their own rules for its use. Therefore, the correct ruling is whatever your local state/league says to do.

I can tell you that for California, the CIF modification states to reset the shot clock fully on all kicking violations.
I actually had this happen the 1st game of the year where I worked the shot clock for the Boys' Varsity game (1st game of the year for the Boys). The visiting team had a kick ball violation against them, & I went to reset the shot clock due to the violation happening, as I was in the process of resetting the scoreboard operator/timer said to reset the shot clock.

It was interesting, to say the least, to see the different style of play since now have the 35 sec. shot clock for boys. Thankfully here in Washington, the reset scenarios between Boys' & Girls' are the same.

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Dec 31, 2009 at 04:57am.