The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
What Bob said. Use of the coaching box is optional by state association adoption, and how it is handled if the box isn't marked is their venue as well. In Oregon we have specific instructions that the game will not start until the coaching box is marked.

As to how to handle the original question posed by coach41, my first step is either a quiet "coach, don't forget the box" or making eye contact, pointing at where he is and then at the box - depends on the specific circumstances at the time. Step two is to warn & step three a technical foul.

I suppose we could always ask for a new rule to install an anchor in the center of the box with a 7 foot lead attached to a belt or harness for the coach.....think they would go for it?

Or perhaps a enclosed cage. One with a top so that they couldn't crawl out!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
[/COLOR]

Or perhaps a enclosed cage. One with a top so that they couldn't crawl out!
I thought of that, but figured it would constitute too much of a hazard to the players - then again so might my bungee cord idea. We need to come up with a better approach...........how about the invisible fence & shock collar they use to keep pets in the yard.......
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I wrote an e-mail to the state director over basketball asking about it. How I stated it in the e-mail is that the gyms I have been in do not have it marked, nor have the ones I have seen in the media (tv & newspaper).
Really? IMO, that's NOT the way to get yourself promoted to the varsity games at your local school.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Really? IMO, that's NOT the way to get yourself promoted to the varsity games at your local school.
I asked what the state association rules were as I know there are differences between the NFHS Rules & those the WIAA uses.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Speaking of required floor markings, before the last game I did mention to the AD about the "X" in front of the official scorer. His response was that nothing had been said about it & not to worry about it.
Quote:
I wrote an e-mail to the state director over basketball asking about it. How I stated it in the e-mail is that the gyms I have been in do not have it marked, nor have the ones I have seen in the media (tv & newspaper).
Quote:
I asked what the state association rules were as I know there are differences between the NFHS Rules & those the WIAA uses.
This what Bob is talking about: you asked your AD and he said to let it go. You then decided to email the state. That's called going over your AD's head, and it's always harmful to aspirations.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought of that, but figured it would constitute too much of a hazard to the players - then again so might my bungee cord idea. We need to come up with a better approach...........how about the invisible fence & shock collar they use to keep pets in the yard.......

Yep I see your point there! I am liking this idea much better. Give the "R" a manual shock button to hit him with too. Gives a whole new meaning to "Whack"
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:01pm
Huck Finn

Chseagle is becoming legendary in a hurry !

I have given two Ts for coaches being out of the box...in the same game! I brought them together and asked them nicely if they would stay in the box. After that I T'd one and the other one didn't get it so I T'd him up. The Ts fixed the problem.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Chseagle is becoming Diebleresque in a hurry !

I have given two Ts for coaches being out of the box...in the same game! I brought them together and asked them nicely if they would stay in the box. After that I T'd one and the other one didn't get it so I T'd him up. The Ts fixed the problem.
There. Repair work is done.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This what Bob is talking about: you asked your AD and he said to let it go. You then decided to email the state. That's called going over your AD's head, and it's always harmful to aspirations.
Agreed! It may get you noticed, but almost certainly not the type of attention you want......
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Agreed! It may get you noticed, but almost certainly not the type of attention you want......
"It's a jungle out there."
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Excuses, Excuses ...

Quote:
In Oregon we have specific instructions that the game will not start until the coaching box is marked.
Here's how we handle it in Connecticut:

Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.

The old excuse was, "The custodians won't let us put tape on the gymnasium floor. It discolors the finish on the floor."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)