The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

"For example, after a made basket, I will frequently overlook an end line violation when the other team is quickly inbounding the ball (no defensive pressure) and their foot is slightly over the line."

Have I "missed" this violation? I'm sure I probably have.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

How about violations that appear to be ignored.

One that I see a lot, especially in college ball is travels on the spin move. A real common one is when a post player receives the feed and drops the inside foot to the basket and then turns to face the basket and plants both feet and jumps and shoots. This is absolutely a travel, but is rarely called.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

The obvious one is three seconds. Another is the 10 second free throw violation. Also hitting the net while the ball is on its way through the basket. But these don't go completely unnoticed, and I will make the call if the situation actually warrants it. So not really ignored, just very leniently enforced

As for fouls, those I don't ignore. However, the determination of advantage/disadvantage can vary widely between age levels, skill levels, or even from game to game or from one part of a game to another. I know that last phrase sounds like I'm promoting inconsistency, but sometimes an otherwise decent game begins to tank and you have to tighten up to keep it under control, or there are times where you have to go get a "game control foul" that you normally wouldn't call.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 04:21pm.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Just wondering what violations and fouls that we frequently ignore or overlook.
I'm not sure I intentionally ignore any*, but I do tend to have a more lenient view, or change the benefit of the doubt, in certain circumstances.

For example, A1 inbounds to A2, with no pressure. A2 tunrs to face up court and in doing so lifts the pivot foot slightly before beginning the dribble. Probably not called. A2 makes the same move in drivingt from the top of the key to the basket -- probably called. :shrug:

* -- one notable exception. A team shows up with 6 players. 5 play the first 30-minutes, and the team is losing by about 45 points. A6 enters the game. The ball is passes to A6 on the wing. Her eyes get real wide and her feet start doing the "curly shuffle." I think this was the first time she had ever played. I ignored (there, I said it) the traveling violation.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm not sure I intentionally ignore any*, but I do tend to have a more lenient view, or change the benefit of the doubt, in certain circumstances.

For example, A1 inbounds to A2, with no pressure. A2 tunrs to face up court and in doing so lifts the pivot foot slightly before beginning the dribble. Probably not called. A2 makes the same move in drivingt from the top of the key to the basket -- probably called. :shrug:

* -- one notable exception. A team shows up with 6 players. 5 play the first 30-minutes, and the team is losing by about 45 points. A6 enters the game. The ball is passes to A6 on the wing. Her eyes get real wide and her feet start doing the "curly shuffle." I think this was the first time she had ever played. I ignored (there, I said it) the traveling violation.
Say it ain't so!

OK, fine, yesterday we had a 40+ pt blowout in girls V. Everyone but A45 has played. With 1 min remaining A45 stands to go to the table to report (fans and players go nuts cheering her name). First opportunity to kill the clock I did (a rebound by B1, ball was live). Fans go crazy as A45 enters, girl had the biggest smile you'd see. Not ignoring a violation/foul, but more of a mechanic I guess.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Punched ball violation in the backcourt. You know the play where the player inbounds the ball to the player with no backcourt pressure, then the inbounds player nonchalantly punches the ball back to the thrower.

As far as fouls, those aren't going to be ignored from me at any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I've seen it happen a couple of times, a player is going in for a layup or a very close shot to the basket, being guarded by 2-3 defenders closely, traveling.
I'd find in this case, if anything, a travel would be MORE likely to be called...especially if said player is out of control.

Last edited by APG; Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 05:14pm.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 05:16pm
We don't rent pigs

I think we all ignore 3 seconds, to some degree, but I really don't understand why.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Just wondering what violations and fouls that we frequently ignore or overlook.

For example, after a made basket, I will frequently overlook an end line violation when the other team is quickly inbounding the ball (no defensive pressure) and their foot is slightly over the line.

I'm curious about situations where common sense overrides "the book".

Thoughts?
Thoughts? I called this in the first game of the year; no defensive pressure at all. Easy call, no grief. Incidentally, I probably wouldn't have gotten grief either way.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
How about violations that appear to be ignored.

One that I see a lot, especially in college ball is travels on the spin move. A real common one is when a post player receives the feed and drops the inside foot to the basket and then turns to face the basket and plants both feet and jumps and shoots. This is absolutely a travel, but is rarely called.
Ugh! It's called when I see it; and I've been gently reminded when I've missed it (by observing officials).
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think we all ignore 3 seconds, to some degree, but I really don't understand why.
Do you understand why you do it? I don't ignore it, I simply enforce it the way that's expected around here. Am I watching it more this year due to the POE? Perhaps, but it's not really happening more.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Love Those Stooges ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Doing the "Curly Shuffle".
Yahoo! Video Detail for The Curly Shuffle by Jumpn The Saddle Band
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How About A Nice Hawaiian Punch ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Punched ball violation in the backcourt. You know the play where the player inbounds the ball to the player with no backcourt pressure, then the inbounds player nonchalantly punches the ball back to the thrower.
Called it a few years ago in a Christmas tournament game. My partner, and the two officials for the game following mine, advised me never to call it again, so I never will.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 08:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Do you understand why you do it? I don't ignore it, I simply enforce it the way that's expected around here. Am I watching it more this year due to the POE? Perhaps, but it's not really happening more.
I basically try to call it like everybody else calls it.

But.......

Most of us don't call it if the guy in the high post has his heel on the line.

But why not?

It's a guy standing on a line.

Kinda like standing on the sideline while holding the ball.

Is it too much to ask to know where you are on the court?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

How many time do we bend the rules on:
-Foot breaking the lane, on a free throw, before it hits the rim?
-Allowing the teams to stay in the huddle, for a TO, long after the horn signals the end for a 30/60 seconds TO? (Resumpion of Play Proceedure)
-Allowing the Team to clean up water that was spilled on the court from a TO? (Delay of Game Violation)
I know... When in Rome
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 11:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
How many time do we bend the rules on:
-Foot breaking the lane, on a free throw, before it hits the rim?
-Allowing the teams to stay in the huddle, for a TO, long after the horn signals the end for a 30/60 seconds TO? (Resumpion of Play Proceedure)
-Allowing the Team to clean up water that was spilled on the court from a TO? (Delay of Game Violation)
I know... When in Rome
None on all three. Around here, we call all of those by the book. I've found that on the TO's, getting in the huddle on the first horn works every time.