The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violations/Fouls that you ignore (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56166-violations-fouls-you-ignore.html)

MelbRef Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:41pm

Violations/Fouls that you ignore

Just wondering what violations and fouls that we frequently ignore or overlook.

For example, after a made basket, I will frequently overlook an end line violation when the other team is quickly inbounding the ball (no defensive pressure) and their foot is slightly over the line.

I'm curious about situations where common sense overrides "the book".

Thoughts?

dsqrddgd909 Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 646995)

For example, after a made basket, I will frequently overlook an end line violation when the other team is quickly inbounding the ball (no defensive pressure) and their foot is slightly over the line.

Thoughts?

Why ignore it?

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:48pm

How about a player going in for a layup when they're surrounded by 2-3 defensive players by traveling?

Raymond Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647002)
How about a player going in for a layup when they're surrounded by 2-3 defensive players by traveling?

I know of no officials who purposely igore that.

just another ref Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647002)
how about a player going in for a layup when they're surrounded by 2-3 defensive players by traveling?

huh?

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 647006)
I know of no officials who purposely igore that.

I've seen it happen a couple of times, a player is going in for a layup or a very close shot to the basket, being guarded by 2-3 defenders closely, traveling.

Of course, in this case it may be hard to see the violation due to the amount of bodies in the area.

Raymond Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647011)
I've seen it happen a couple of times, a player is going in for a layup or a very close shot to the basket, being guarded by 2-3 defenders closely, traveling.

Of course, in this case it may be hard to see the violation due to the amount of bodies in the area.

I think you are Off-topic here. You're talking about a judgement call and the officials judged it to be a legal play.

The OP is talking about obvious violations or fouls that get ignored for one reason or another.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:11pm

Quote:

Common sense?

The FED direction on your example above is "Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadverent, it is a violation and NO judgment is required in making the call"

Iirc the NCAA issued a similar directive.

bbcof83 Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:16pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

Over the line = violation. Man up and call it.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:22pm

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...violation.html

Similar discussion......

bbcof83 Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:25pm

But to answer your OP question.

I can't think of a situation where I'd ignore a violation.

Your wording is wrong. I will ignore contact in certain situations, I'm not ignoring a foul.

Examples: A1 starts a drive from top of key, B1 blocks but A1 is now past the defender and has an open layup. No advantage gained.

A1 is finishing a layup and is grazed on the arm by B1. If the ball goes in I ignore the contact. If it rolls out B1 gained an advantage from the contact.

Fast break situation starting in BC. A1 passes the ball to a streaking A2 who has an uncontested layup. B1 fouls A1 as he's passing. If the ball reaches A2 without affecting the play, no foul.

MelbRef Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:25pm

Given the response thus far, I doubt if there will be any further inputs to this thread.

Oh well.

bbcof83 Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 647030)
Given the response thus far, I doubt if there will be any further inputs to this thread.

Oh well.

What kind of response did you want? A list of violations to ignore?

Vinski Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:35pm

I’ll ignore sliding on a poorly maintained slipper floor.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:38pm

Try this...

We don't overlook fouls. We do not call incidental contact a foul either.

That's common sense imo.