The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Speaking of APs, what's the best AP you've seen?
Any

Quote:
What's the worse AP you've seen?
As long as there is one, it doesn't effin matter.

Quote:
The big question is then: how many times does the official scorer actually signal the bonus without being asked?

Quote:
Another question for everyone, do you prefer the player fouls being shown on the scoreboard, or should this just be up to the official book to keep track?
No.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was asking about the player fouls on the board, as I've seen it done in the past where the officials have noticed that the board lists a player with 5 fouls before the book says anything. So it can help expedite a game.
I will wait on the book to tell me before I take any actions.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle
What's the Worst?
The light in the light box was out the other night so we had a roll of toilet paper on top of it...until someone swiped it. I don't remember what we used after that, I just made sure the table was keeping track in the book.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRT View Post
The light in the light box was out the other night so we had a roll of toilet paper on top of it...until someone swiped it. I don't remember what we used after that, I just made sure the table was keeping track in the book.
Sounds like a Sh!ty Job...

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Glad to hear it - in the future you might want to use an emoticon to indicate that though......

1: A visible game clock and scoreboard are mandatory per rule 1-15 and an alternate device must be available in the event of malfunction.

2: No one said that the information on the scoreboard isn't useful...just that except for the clock, it's technically not official. By rule we have to confirm with the official scorekeeper. Mistooks happen - that's why the rules recommend the timer and scorekeeper be next to each other at the table so they can confer with each other. I take it one step further - if both teams have a book (and they should), I want both books to sit near enough to each other at the table that they can cross check to make sure everyone is on the same page.

3: While on the subject of the official book, most folks assume the home book is the official book - it usually is, but not necessarily. By rule, the referee is responsible for designating the official book.
1. If the scoreboard wasn't needed, it wouldn't be there in the 1st place. During the 4A Regionals last February, we had to use alternative devices due to technical difficulties with the scoreboard. For the timing of the game we were using stopwatches & IPhones. For the buzzer, the PA Announcer would either imitate a buzzer or say "end of period/quarter/half" over the PA.

2. I covered this under another topic. For the Varsity games at my alma mater, both books are seating right next to one another with the timer/scorebaord right next to the home book (official scorer). I am going to be implementing a similar table setup the next time I do the JV & C-Squad games (especially since for those games, it's normally a student designated by the coach that does the scorebook).

3. Generally yes it's the home book that is the official book, however there are a few exceptions, like the one time when I was Boys' Basketball Manager & we were the visiting team. In this instance the home team didn't have a scorebook, so I became the official book. I've never actually seen the officials fully designate an official book except in the case that there's only one book present.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 07:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Normally, I go and just verify. "Which one of you is the official book?" This is designating, IMO, and it tells me which face I need to address when I report.

Frankly, your first point contradicts itself. It's not "necessary" as evidenced by your ability to work without it. Notice you didn't use an alternative score display. It's definitely beneficial, but hardly necessary.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Normally, I go and just verify. "Which one of you is the official book?" This is designating, IMO, and it tells me which face I need to address when I report.

Frankly, your first point contradicts itself. It's not "necessary" as evidenced by your ability to work without it. Notice you didn't use an alternative score display. It's definitely beneficial, but hardly necessary.
Unfortunately there was not an alternative score display available till later in that day. When that alternate display became available, it was used for both the time & score, as it was a little table-top scoreboard, neither bench could see it unless the coach stepped out onto the court.

Concerning the technical difficulties, the arena that the 4A regionals was being played in, is an arena that's normally used for hockey & arena/indoor football. Normally the Harlem Globetrotters do an annual game there as well, however for this setup, there were two courts. Each court had use of one of the main scoreboards with smaller scorebaords brought in to supplement. On this court, everything was working right before the the 1st game, but in the middle of the game the scoreboard controls did not want to communicate with the scoreboards. Because of this fact, is the reason why we resorted to using stopwatches & IPhones for timing devices.