The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Coach Contacts Official

During a 7th grade girls game a couple weeks ago, I was at trail during the final seconds of the first half and had a home player on offense dribbling in towards the post. While still in my primary, the dribbler picks up her dribble, swings her arms around in a normal motion and lightly contacts the defender with her forearm, not displacing her. Before she can get the shot off, the buzzer sounds and I signal "no shot" while hitting my whistle.

As I meet my partner at half court and we walk towards the table, the visiting coach, upset with the no-call, approaches me and grumbles "Come on ref, you've got to call that foul. She shoved her like this." The coach then gives me a moderate shove with her forearm. I'm completely shocked and take a few steps back, then bark "Coach that is completely unacceptable! You are NOT to touch an official like that!"

She backed up, said "Oh we're yelling now?" and just walked away. I didn't do anything else and was seriously second guessing myself (I still am). I was completely shocked she did this. After officiating sports in some sort for 13 years, I've never had a coach or player contact me like this.

Thinking back about it, I should have at least T'd her up but should probably have given her flagrant T. I didn't for a few reasons, one being that I was completely taken by surprise (something about Jim Evans mentioning that surprise is an umpire's worst enemy comes to mind). Another reason being (and I know this isn't much of a reason) was that this was the only coach present for this team and I was afraid the game was going to end, which would punish the kids for their coach's stupid behavior.

I understand that this is probably HTBT, but I'm curious to hear what some of you think about this?

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 01:20am.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:25am
M.A.S.H.

I would have certainly whacked the coach. I'm on the fence as to whether I would have ruled it flagrant or not... probably a HTBT. I'm sure the coach was caught up in the moment and didn't realize what she was doing. Nonetheless, a coach should be responsible for their actions. A technical foul and a stern statement like yours ("Coach that is completely unacceptable! You are NOT to touch an official like that!") probably would have taken care of the situation.

Either way, I would write a report to my state association or supervisor detailing what happened.

While I understand your concern for not wanting to end the game because of the kids, the basketball court is an extension of the class room. Therefore, the coach's actions should be penalized accordingly. If an ejection occurs and the result is the end of the game then it's a valuable learning lesson that behavior of that nature is not acceptable.

Just my $0.02.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Situational awareness,

This coach was totally aware of the situation. The coach knew full well what actions were going to be taken. In my book, this would have been a Flagrant technical with letter to the school principal and one to state about this coach contacting an official in that manner.

I don't care what manner the game end.

Think of it this way, if you had violated her space what you think the consequences would be?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Coach absolutely 100% has to go home. No room for that. Officials shouldn't be contacted in that context.

Bye bye coach. Send a report to the people you send reports too.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Hmmm. As of now, I'm in the basic T camp on this one. I wouldn't expect the coach of a 7th grade girls team to know the consequences of this action, so i don't think it was premeditated.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hmmm. As of now, I'm in the basic T camp on this one. I wouldn't expect the coach of a 7th grade girls team to know the consequences of this action, so i don't think it was premeditated.
Although, I understand your premise. I will say that a coach at the level (some) of the time have some type of basketball background.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
During a 7th grade girls game
Probably worthy of a T. And then she'd probably be done for the night anyway because her rant after getting the T would likely get her another one.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, in the future, please don't touch me again." It's an emotionally charged situation, and while it doesn't condone the coach contacting you, it has to be viewed in context. If you want to give the T, I have no problem with it. But, in the long run, you can build a better relationship with that coach while getting your point across at the same time.

I know others will disagree, but that is my opinion. I have been in this exact situation before, and this is how I handled it, and it worked out quite well. Never had an incident again, and the coach has never done it again either (to anyone).
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Whack! And, while I agree you can have some novice and none-too-informed 7th grade coaches.....now she does know the consequences of her actions.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
"Coach, in the future, please don't touch me again." It's an emotionally charged situation, and while it doesn't condone the coach contacting you, it has to be viewed in context. If you want to give the T, I have no problem with it. But, in the long run, you can build a better relationship with that coach while getting your point across at the same time.

I know others will disagree, but that is my opinion. I have been in this exact situation before, and this is how I handled it, and it worked out quite well. Never had an incident again, and the coach has never done it again either (to anyone).
I generally agree. Regardless of the situation, "yelling" or "barking" at a coach rarely is going to make the situation better. I think a T is in order, to let her know it's serious, but it should continue to be handled in a professional way, and somehow bringing the level of emotion down would be preferable.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"coach, in the future, please don't touch me again." it's an emotionally charged situation, and while it doesn't condone the coach contacting you, it has to be viewed in context. If you want to give the t, i have no problem with it. But, in the long run, you can build a better relationship with that coach while getting your point across at the same time.

I know others will disagree, but that is my opinion. I have been in this exact situation before, and this is how i handled it, and it worked out quite well. Never had an incident again, and the coach has never done it again either (to anyone).
+1
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:47am
Huck Finn

Quote:
But, in the long run, you can build a better relationship with that coach while getting your point across at the same time.
Maybe later, if I have to go to the restroom, I can drop something to rival that.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HTBT, but I lean towards a T.
How I call/ no call is not going to be based on "building a relationship" with a coach. This shouldnt be a factor at all...
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

A T helps build the relationship that is appropriate, IMO. If she calms down, she gets to stay and coach from her backside.

A T is her warning for future games.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Although, I understand your premise. I will say that a coach at the level (some) of the time have some type of basketball background.
I hate to say it so bluntly, but the last coaching job assignment handed out in a district is going to be the 7th grade girls coach. You're as likely to get the track coach making some off season money as you are someone with basketball background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Whack! And, while I agree you can have some novice and none-too-informed 7th grade coaches.....now she does know the consequences of her actions.
Agreed. I did say ring her up, after all.