The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Okay, for the sake of argument say that I am the Trail official and you are the C on this play. When the ball strikes the bottom of the backboard and continues onward into the inbounds area of the court, I loudly say, "Good, keep playing," and extend my arms as if a baseball umpire signaling a runner safe, then a second later you blow your whistle and call an OOB violation for the ball striking the back of the backboard.

Now whose call do we go with?
The guy who blew the whistle, unless you can talk him out of his call.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, for the sake of argument say that I am the Trail official and you are the C on this play. When the ball strikes the bottom of the backboard and continues onward into the inbounds area of the court, I loudly say, "Good, keep playing," and extend my arms as if a baseball umpire signaling a runner safe, then a second later you blow your whistle and call an OOB violation for the ball striking the back of the backboard.

Now whose call do we go with?
How is this any different from the lead making the annoying foul tip signal as if to let everyone know there was a clean block, but the trail whistles for a foul on the exact same play?

And what the hell is this mechanic: "extend my arms as if a baseball umpire signaling a runner safe"?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
How is this any different from the lead making the annoying foul tip signal as if to let everyone know there was a clean block, but the trail whistles for a foul on the exact same play?
It's not, nor is it any different than an official giving that signal as the ball heads into the backcourt only to have another official whistle a backcourt violation. What happens on those plays? Do we go with the tip-signaling official or the whistle-blower?

Quote:
And what the hell is this mechanic: "extend my arms as if a baseball umpire signaling a runner safe"?
It's certainly not an approved mechanic, but I wanted to make it clear to JR and everyone else that the non-whistling official was actually making a call, so I gave him some physical action. Otherwise, for some reason, people seem to think that the non-whistling official isn't making a decision. Perhaps they believe that he didn't observe the action.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not, nor is it any different than an official giving that signal as the ball heads into the backcourt only to have another official whistle a backcourt violation. What happens on those plays? Do we go with the tip-signaling official or the whistle-blower?
In my experience we go with the whistle blower.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
In my experience we go with the whistle blower.
Same in mine.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 07:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) It's not, nor is it any different than an official giving that signal as the ball heads into the backcourt only to have another official whistle a backcourt violation. What happens on those plays? Do we go with the tip-signaling official or the whistle-blower?

2)It's certainly not an approved mechanic, but I wanted to make it clear to JR and everyone else that the non-whistling official was actually making a call, so I gave him some physical action. Otherwise, for some reason, people seem to think that the non-whistling official isn't making a decision. Perhaps they believe that he didn't observe the action.
1) You have to go with the whistle-blower, by rule, unless the whistle blower subsequently decides that he wants to change his call after consultation. A signal is NOT a call; it is merely a way to convey information to participants and spectators. And the information being conveyed by that signal can be just as erroneous as the call. I can give a tip signal to my partner on an OOB call, but I also may not have seen a subsequent tip that my partner did see.

2) Nevada, you can have the non-whistling official stand on his head and his signal can then come out of his butt for all I care. He still didn't make a call; he made a signal. A completely unecessary signal that he shouldn't have made btw imo.

Rule 2-6 supports the official making the call as being the only official who can subsequently change that call. Unless you can find something somewhere from the FED that says a non-calling official's signal by itself can overrule a call, let alone having an official who did not make a signal or blow his whistle being able to overrule a call, I don't know how you can continue to support your hypothesis. Rules rulz and it doesn't matter whether any of us disagrees with them.

We're both making the same points over and over and we sureasheck ain't ever gonna agree. Time to take this one to the barn.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) You have to go with the whistle-blower, by rule, unless the whistle blower subsequently decides that he wants to change his call after consultation. A signal is NOT a call; it is merely a way to convey information to participants and spectators. And the information being conveyed by that signal can be just as erroneous as the call. I can give a tip signal to my partner on an OOB call, but I also may not have seen a subsequent tip that my partner did see.

2) Nevada, you can have the non-whistling official stand on his head and his signal can then come out of his butt for all I care. He still didn't make a call; he made a signal. A completely unecessary signal that he shouldn't have made btw imo.

Rule 2-6 supports the official making the call as being the only official who can subsequently change that call. Unless you can find something somewhere from the FED that says a non-calling official's signal by itself can overrule a call, let alone having an official who did not make a signal or blow his whistle being able to overrule a call, I don't know how you can continue to support your hypothesis. Rules rulz and it doesn't matter whether any of us disagrees with them.

We're both making the same points over and over and we sureasheck ain't ever gonna agree. Time to take this one to the barn.

So good to have the voice of common sense back:
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
So good to have the voice of common sense back:
Thanks for the kind words.

Nevada may not agree with you though....
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 04:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Nevada may not agree with you though....
It's not like he has veto power.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's certainly not an approved mechanic, but I wanted to make it clear to JR and everyone else that the non-whistling official was actually making a call, so I gave him some physical action. Otherwise, for some reason, people seem to think that the non-whistling official isn't making a decision. Perhaps they believe that he didn't observe the action.
This is a similar argument people might make for making the "blocked shot" signal. My counter argument is the absence of a signal is making a decision. We have seen where unapproved mechanics can get us in trouble. If you use your mechanic and then the C blows the ball dead on the throw-in, I'm going with the approved mechanic. This is similar to the lead doing the "blocked shot" mechanic and the trail calling a foul. Which one do we go with? The foul! Let's stay away from unapproved mechanics.