The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How do you call this (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56051-how-do-you-call.html)

Scratch85 Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52pm

How do you call this

BV game. I am the new trail on a throw-in after a made basket. As the player is running the endline, he makes a pass from under the basket. The ball hits the padding on the underside of the backboard and caroms out to about the division line where it is gathered by his teammate.

My partner (new C) sounds his whistle and calls a throw-in violation due to the ball hitting the backboard. I went with his call at that point and we talked about it after the game.

Should this be called a violation?

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:56pm

The only part of the backboard that's OOB is the back. So, in your play, I'd have nothing unless it bounced backwards; which would indicate it hit at least a portion of the back of the backboard.

chartrusepengui Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57pm

If it didn't hit the back of the backboard - I would have nothing as long as it rebounded onto the playing surface.

tjones1 Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59pm

No violation. Only the back of the backboard and the supports are OOB.

7-1-2a 3
7.6.2 Situation

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59pm

The ball must be thrown directly onto the court (unless to another OOB teammate) and anything inbounds is part of the court, which includes five of the six sides of the backboard (only the back side is OOB), so there's no violation. It's really the same as if the pass hit one of the officials who was standing inbounds.

Unless someone digs up a case play from a bazillion years ago that says different.

Scratch85 Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:08pm

My judgement has been; if the ball goes forward, it did not hit the back of the backboard. Just as everyone so far has stated.

However, I see this called often. As a matter of fact, I have hated this call since November 2004 when my son was called for this violation at a crucial time in the game.

So I hope millions of officials see this post and never call it again.

The post game talk between my partner and me ended with, "Well I'll tell you this, you should let the official who is administering the throw-in make that call." I hope he lurks here!

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 644829)
My judgement has been; if the ball goes forward, it did not hit the back of the backboard. Just as everyone so far has stated.

However, I see this called often. As a matter of fact, I have hated this call since November 2004 when my son was called for this violation at a crucial time in the game.

The post game talk between my partner and me ended with, "Well I'll tell you this, you should let the official who is administering the throw-in make that call." I hope he lurks here!

I always make it a point when I motion for a kid to come outside the lane line to take a throw-in that he/she does not want to hit the back of the backboard. That said, it must've come from an angle to hit the underside of the backboard to deflect out to midcourt.

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 644834)
I always make it a point when I motion for a kid to come outside the lane line to take a throw-in that he/she does not want to hit the back of the backboard. That said, it must've come from an angle to hit the underside of the backboard to deflect out to midcourt.

End line throwin, different animal and this play is always possible.

I also agree with Scratch, this is the on-ball official's call every time. C shouldn't be making this.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 644836)
End line throwin, different animal and this play is always possible.

I also agree with Scratch, this is the on-ball official's call every time. C shouldn't be making this.

It wasn't a violation. No official should have made this call. ;)

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 644837)
It wasn't a violation. No official should have made this call. ;)

:mad: With all due respect, shut up.

representing Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 644829)

Don't hold your breath haha.

--

I hope this wasn't called during a crucial point in the game. I would have been all over your C if I was the coach of the team who just lost the throw-in.

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:53pm

I have to ask, Scratch. Why did your partner think it was a violation? Does he think hitting the anywhere on the BB is a violation on a throwin? Or did he somehow judge the ball to have hit the back?

Scratch85 Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 644843)
I have to ask, Scratch. Why did your partner think it was a violation? Does he think hitting the anywhere on the BB is a violation on a throwin? Or did he somehow judge the ball to have hit the back?

He judged it to have hit the back. At least upon questioning, that is what he said.

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 644845)
He judged it to have hit the back. At least upon questioning, that is what he said.

He must have a hard time playing pool.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 644845)

At the risk of sounding facetious, your partner wasn't Old School by any chance? Well, I guess there was very little risk.:D