The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Player calls time out

JC girls game, player is falling out of bounds and calls time out after securing the ball and clearly has possion. Official blows whistle and grants time out. Team has no timeouts left. Is this considered an inadvertent whistle? POI or technical.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Technical.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmoe View Post
JC girls game, player is falling out of bounds and calls time out after securing the ball and clearly has possion. Official blows whistle and grants time out. Team has no timeouts left. Is this considered an inadvertent whistle? POI or technical.

I disagree....

It is a violation for falling out of bounds. Player can not request a time out while falling out of bounds. Even if he granted, his partner should have come to him and say, they can not request the time out. She is out of bounds. Give the other team the ball. Nothing else.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this junior college? Are we using NCAA-W rules?

If so, then my next question would be: was the player in the air going OOB at the time she requested the TO? If so, then the ruling would be an IW, no TO granted, with the ball going back to team A. There was a case play or interp when this rule was changed that states if the official blows the whistle to grant a TO when the team is not entitled to such, it is treated as an IW, with the ball going back to the team last in control (even if she eventually landed OOB).

If there was still part of the player on the floor inbounds as she was going OOB, then yes, the TO is granted, the T assessed for the excessive TO, and B would get the ball for the ensuing throw-in due to loss of possession instead of POI.

If you are using Fed. rules, the TO is granted, the T is assessed, and B gets the throw-in at the division line.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Oh look! She stepped on the endline as she requested the TO.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Is this junior college? Are we using NCAA-W rules?

If so, then my next question would be: was the player in the air going OOB at the time she requested the TO? If so, then the ruling would be an IW, no TO granted, with the ball going back to team A. There was a case play or interp when this rule was changed that states if the official blows the whistle to grant a TO when the team is not entitled to such, it is treated as an IW, with the ball going back to the team last in control (even if she eventually landed OOB).

If there was still part of the player on the floor inbounds as she was going OOB, then yes, the TO is granted, the T assessed for the excessive TO, and B would get the ball for the ensuing throw-in due to loss of possession instead of POI.

If you are using Fed. rules, the TO is granted, the T is assessed, and B gets the throw-in at the division line.
Yes Womens JC NCAA rules, player is clearly in the air with ball in hands calling time out. Since she cannot call a time out by rule and they have no timeouts left then my first thought was inadvertent whistle since no timeout can be called and then POI but since I wasn't sure and I could not find a definite ruling in the rule book then that's why I posted the question here.
Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 10:26pm
Administrator

Just remember everybody, it doesn't matter whether we are using NFHS or NCAA Men's/Women's rules, a player (or coach) canNOT call timeout, they may REQUEST a timeout.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes Womens JC NCAA rules, player is clearly in the air with ball in hands calling time out. Since she cannot call a time out by rule and they have no timeouts left then my first thought was inadvertent whistle since no timeout can be called and then POI but since I wasn't sure and I could not find a definite ruling in the rule book then that's why I posted the question here.
Thanks.
It is in the casebook, and it is also the same for both NCAA-M and NCAA-W. A.R. 137.

(Used with permission.)