The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to yourself. It sure helps me. For example, when the ball approaches your line of responsibility say "my line". When there is a touch that could potentially cause an out of bounds say the team color to yourself. Then when you need to make the call your prepped to come out strong.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 05:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Talk to yourself. It sure helps me.
But my shrink says I've got to stop doing this.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 05:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Are you going to listen to HIM, or the 1000 crazy voices in your head?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When Half Right Is 100% Right ...

If you know for sure it went off Blue, but are a little confused about the direction, just put your hand up to stop the clock and yell "White". Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the direction.

In a half court set, if all you know for sure is that it went off the offensive team, but are a little confused about which color is the defensive team, just put your hand up to stop the clock and point downcourt. Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the proper color.

In a half court set, if all you know for sure is that it went off the defensive team, but are a little confused about which color is the offensive team, just put your hand up to stop the clock and point in the direction that the offensive team was going in their half court set. Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the proper color.

In the last two cases, you may want to yell, "That way", or, "Stay here", but many evaluators may discourage this, and so, "When in Rome ...".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If you know for sure it went off Blue, but are a little confused about the direction, just put your hand up to stop the clock and yell "White". Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the direction.

In a half court set, if all you know for sure is that it went off the offensive team, but are a little confused about which color is the defensive team, just put your hand up to stop the clock and point downcourt. Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the proper color.

In a half court set, if all you know for sure is that it went off the defensive team, but are a little confused about which color is the offensive team, just put your hand up to stop the clock and point in the direction that the offensive team was going in their half court set. Look over at the benches, figure out if it's the first or second half, and then give the proper color.

In the last two cases, you may want to yell, "That way", or, "Stay here", but many evaluators may discourage this, and so, "When in Rome ...".
I have no problem with color, I'll goof direction occasionally. I have a frequent partner who always points direction rather than call color first. If you call right color, the sheep will follow, then I can properly point. To me if you point wrong direction first, you are open to discussion.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I think my biggest problem, as lead, is when I get too close to the endline. I need to back off the endline farther. In doing so, I get a clearer picture. When I am really close to the play, I can't see the quick tip or which foot the ball hit last. So, mechanically, I can help myself make better judgments.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

BillyMac,
You disappointed me. I thought that you would certainly recommend a coin toss.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:28pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Your shrink is a quack though!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
This is him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Your shrink is a quack though!