The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Haven't heard this one before

Three 8th grade tournament games yesterday with teams from all over the Pacific Northwest. Game two was between two teams from the Seattle area. Why they had to drive down to Portland to play each other I'll never know.

Anyway, middle of Q2, some moron in the bleachers yells at my partner during a timeout, "You couldn't ref your way out of a paper bag".

I'm still puzzling over that one. Maybe it's a "Seattle thing".
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Three 8th grade tournament games yesterday with teams from all over the Pacific Northwest. Game two was between two teams from the Seattle area. Why they had to drive down to Portland to play each other I'll never know.

Anyway, middle of Q2, some moron in the bleachers yells at my partner during a timeout, "You couldn't ref your way out of a paper bag".

I hope that was followed with an ejection if it was blatantly loud
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Considering the climate, your partner would not need more than a soft whistle to break through the wet paper barrier.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
You're kidding, right?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're kidding, right?
I hope he is... but I don't think he is kidding.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm hoping that either he's kidding or he misread the OP and thought it was a coach who said it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm hoping that either he's kidding or he misread the OP and thought it was a coach who said it.
ah hell, I did misread it. Did think it was a coach. My bad, thanks for correcting me.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
ah hell, I did misread it. Did think it was a coach. My bad, thanks for correcting me.
That was my first assumption. LMAO!
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Actually, some of the spectators were abusive toward the referees (including guys who worked games before me and next to me) and sometimes profanity was used (including the F word). Unfortunately, there's really no game management personnel at this facility to take care of stuff like this. It seems that, although this facility is non-profit, they don't want to take the chance of losing any paying spectators from returning and possibly have teams not sign up to play there in these "tournaments" because some kid's dad got tossed from a game.

I'm seriously considering not working there anymore when I balance the abuse we get vs. the relatively low pay scale there. It's too bad because I like to support community venues and programs like theirs - but there's enough games out there.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, some of the spectators were abusive toward the referees (including guys who worked games before me and next to me) and sometimes profanity was used (including the F word). Unfortunately, there's really no game management personnel at this facility to take care of stuff like this. It seems that, although this facility is non-profit, they don't want to take the chance of losing any paying spectators from returning and possibly have teams not sign up to play there in these "tournaments" because some kid's dad got tossed from a game.

I'm seriously considering not working there anymore when I balance the abuse we get vs. the relatively low pay scale there. It's too bad because I like to support community venues and programs like theirs - but there's enough games out there.
I worked at a place in Indy for a really famous former IU player who owned a basketball academy. There were leagues and tournaments through out the year and I would occasionally work for him. Great guy, but he is a business man, and keeping these coaches and parents happy is part of the game. If it sucks that bad get out. They are the one's who will lose in the long run when it turns into a crime scene. You can't make someone act like an adult!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
It happens.

Even if a coach did say "You couldn't ref your way out of a paper bag" I wouldn't eject for just that... I would probably be laughing on the inside then whack the coach, but not eject.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

talk with the person in charge of the facility and tell him/her your concerns. I understand what you're saying but that should not come at the cost of you feeling uncomfortable doing the game, or having any other officials getting the same abuse. If fans were getting that rowdy and I heard some of these types of comments being made, I would've tossed their asses out. There will be other teams that will want to join that tournament in the future I'm sure, one team loss isn't really a big loss.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'd walk away and not look back. Send a letter to their director (or whoever is the leader of the program) explaining why, and move on.

That's what I'd do, but you're a big boy, so take it for what it's worth.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 05:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I'd walk away and not look back. Send a letter to their director (or whoever is the leader of the program) explaining why, and move on.

That's what I'd do, but you're a big boy, so take it for what it's worth.
And then puke on his shoes.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:51pm
Administrator

Quote:

Actually it is: "You couldn't ref your way out of a WET paper bag WITH A FLAME THROWER!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio