The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

T ?

Helping out fellow official working youth tournament (6th grade girls). Coach complaining to my partner off and on all first half,,, hasn't said anything to me. Starting second half coach is in my partner's ear again and my partner asks " please get back in your coach's box " and the response is a loud "NO I won't ". My partner (first year official ) hesitates ............. looks at me (I'm giving the nod to get him) and he finally gives him the T. My question is ... If he passed on this I was going to give the T ....... Would I have been out of line ?

Thanks
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I think you handled it right. Coming in like the rookie's big brother would just impair his development and probably hurt his reputation. Congrats. You handled it right. If he passes on a T there, I would talk to him at the next time out that under anyone's rules, that "howler monkey" needed to be whacked.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

He was working your partner because he knew that he was new. I'm not sure how much damage you would have done by getting this one if your partner didn't do it. Sometimes, newer guys need a bit of help, and this would be such a time, IMO.

Give him a chance to get it, but take care of it if he won't and talk to him later about it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Did you talk about it at half-time?

That would have been a good opportunity to chat about what needed to be done if it occurred the second half.

That being said, I agree with Snaqs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Give him a chance to get it, but take care of it if he won't and talk to him later about it.
The first T is the most difficult. So, stepping in to show him how it should be done, may help too.

I had a Sr. V official tell me I should have "whacked" a player the other night. He was right. I try to avoid them, but in this case, I shouldn't have. Live and learn.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He was working your partner because he knew that he was new. I'm not sure how much damage you would have done by getting this one if your partner didn't do it. Sometimes, newer guys need a bit of help, and this would be such a time, IMO.

I would chalk this up to HTBT. I don't know if I would want to come flying all the way across the floor to take care of business. If I was bench side at half court, I might step in.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I would chalk this up to HTBT. I don't know if I would want to come flying all the way across the floor to take care of business. If I was bench side at half court, I might step in.
I'd be far more inclined to do this for a first year official struggling to realize what's acceptable and what's not than for a 5th year guy who truly needs to find his whistle.

Coach has already shown he doesn't respect your partner, so it's time to force the behavior to change. If I have to take care of the benches myself so my partner can focus on the court, no biggie.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Snaq.

I would've made my way over in the first half and asked the coach to back off the rookie. Let him know that was enough. Talk about it at half time letting the rook know that it is okay to sit the coach down. If he doesn't then it is your turn.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not sure I would have told him to back off (I'm assuming you wouldn't use the word "rookie" when talking to the coach) my partner. If he's not doing anything directly T-worthy, I'll let my partner make his own decisions. The final situation in the OP, however, begs for a T and it needs to be called.

By not calling it, the partner would have established himself as unsure and easily controlled. Coming in to get it prevents that, IMO.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

We did talk at half about the coach's behavior. He said that it wasn't really "T" worthy but was getting worse.

I told him that he could handle it howerver he felt necessary or as I had the previous game.... Coach was complaining in first quarter of game, I had warned the coach (calmly and professionally that anymore comments on the officiating and he would be T'd up)...... coach settled down and coached his kids to a win. At halftime of that game I discussed with this partner exactly the conversation and how I handled it so he might have it as a future reference.

After this game he said that he was "handling" it by first asking him to get back in coach's box but then it went downhill from there.

Thanks for the feedback

Refk
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
We did talk at half about the coach's behavior. He said that it wasn't really "T" worthy but was getting worse.

I told him that he could handle it howerver he felt necessary or as I had the previous game.... Coach was complaining in first quarter of game, I had warned the coach (calmly and professionally that anymore comments on the officiating and he would be T'd up)...... coach settled down and coached his kids to a win. At halftime of that game I discussed with this partner exactly the conversation and how I handled it so he might have it as a future reference.

After this game he said that he was "handling" it by first asking him to get back in coach's box but then it went downhill from there.

Thanks for the feedback

Refk
The way the coach answered your partner needs to be addressed (whack!). It sounds like he might not of known that the coach crossed the line.

It sounds he was handling it nicely by asking the coach to help him out and get back in the coaching box. However, when he said "NO I won't", then he was trying to show up your partner and he crossed the line.

In the end, sounds like something was learned from the situation.

+1 for whacking a coach who was out of line.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A, B, C! It's easy as 1, 2, 3, as simple as do, re, mi (Jackson Five) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The first T is the most difficult.
No it wasn't. It was as easy as pie. It was so easy that I gave out a lot more. Of course, back then, new officials were often assigned boys recreation games, or mens league games, and you all know what those games can be like. The technical foul may have been my most frequent call.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
That is the fundamental misconception that he must be made to understand. He believes that such behavior from a coach is okay. Since he is a new official, you need to help him learn that it is not.

I would ask him if he felt that the coach's comments to him during the first half were beneficial to the game, and if he enjoyed being constantly harped on. Then I would inform him that this will not only continue, but will get worse until he decides to do something about it.

Obviously, he doesn't have to T right away. There are other techniques which an official can use to control the behavior of a coach and knowing that there are middle-of-the-road actions which can be taken before resorting to the T is a huge learning point in the development of new official. I've seen many officials simply take a ton of garbage without doing anything, until it reaches the point where a T is warranted, but if they had only known how to step in and handle it earlier, then it would likely not have reached that point and working the contest would have been a much more pleasant experience.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 06:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is the fundamental misconception that he must be made to understand. He believes that such behavior from a coach is okay. Since he is a new official, you need to help him learn that it is not.

I would ask him if he felt that the coach's comments to him during the first half were beneficial to the game, and if he enjoyed being constantly harped on. Then I would inform him that this will not only continue, but will get worse until he decides to do something about it.

Obviously, he doesn't have to T right away. There are other techniques which an official can use to control the behavior of a coach and knowing that there are middle-of-the-road actions which can be taken before resorting to the T is a huge learning point in the development of new official. I've seen many officials simply take a ton of garbage without doing anything, until it reaches the point where a T is warranted, but if they had only known how to step in and handle it earlier, then it would likely not have reached that point and working the contest would have been a much more pleasant experience.
Our state official at our annual clinic this yr just shook her head and said she didn't know why so many of us took all the crap we did from the coaches. She told us to deal with it sooner......!