The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Forfeiting a game is the last thing you ever want to do, under any situation.
Gee, would that be because it's not the rule?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you've already reflected on and analyzed the game. Now file it away, get back on the floor, and have some fun.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of good advice... thanks guys.

This game was actually last Friday, and I have been contemplating all week.

It seems an earlier T would have been in order, then I would have gotten the right coach instead of the second coach.

I still need to figure out how to handle coaches- I didn't think fast enough on my feet. Frankly, I didn't think two seconds on the clock would be the trigger for the coach. I'm still confused about that one.

Back on the court tomorrow for a JV game with a varsity partner- that should help. Then I have a freshman game Friday with another rookie. We'll see if I'm ready.

Thanks Again!
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the varsity partner is someone you respect and whose career you'd like to follow, ask him for his opinion (or her) of your situation last week. You'll be able to give more details on the coach's behavior; and he may be familiar enough with the coach to advice that's better than we can offer here.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Did you ask him under what rule he got this idea?
Mark, I thought you would tell him to take 6 minutes off the clock and start the fourth quarter.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Postgame??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Lots of good advice... thanks guys.

This game was actually last Friday, and I have been contemplating all week.
Did you conduct a post game with your partner after all that mess?
I had a similar stich last season. I was doing a BJV game with my little brother. I had called a double personal foul. Upon returning from reporting it at the table, I see my partner is talking with the one coach whose team isn't going to receive the POI throw in. Just as I walk up, I hear the coach ask him whose ball will it be. He responds that we will use the AP meaning it is now his team's throw in. I stepped in with the correct ruling, and told him that I would take care of everything at half time. We didn't hear anymore about it from him. I put my partner on the correct page during the intermission.
AND, come back strong!!

Last edited by Lcubed48; Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 06:26am.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
read red print above for my thoughts...
Without definite knowledge, i don't take any time off. Defensive coach goes ballistic and says if i don't take time off i have to take away the foul, too.
like some have said, i would have taken at least one second off. If you know for sure that you counted x number of times your hand was extended, then take x seconds off.

in the middle of the fourth, we have a rebounding foul in the double bonus, so we walk from one end to the other and line up the players. I bounce the ball to the shooter and immediately notice the scorekeeper holding up five fingers indicating the player has five fouls (no horn, even though we have walked the length of the floor). Rather than take the ball back, i let the player shoot the ball. After the shot misses, the coach (same coach as above) says his player gets another shot because the other team had an ineligible player on the lane. I respond that he is not ineligible until i notify his coach and the shot stands.
i may be wrong here, but this is what i would have done. Don't interrupt the first shot, balls already given to shooter, and the 5-foul player won't be interrupting flow of game at this point. Then, when tie coach would say that his player should have another shot, i would have said "coach, the player was not involve with any further plays after the clock was dead for his 5th foul. I cannot give your player another shot as it was a fta." it is not one of the five correctable errors.

here is where it gets really ugly. We get the new player in, and i bounce the ball for the second shot, the shot misses, and my partner blows his whistle before team control. Apparently the coach has convinced him he does get another shot. So now we have a whistle with no control, and we have to go to the arrow and the shooting team gets the ball back.
correct! Inadvertent whistle with no team control. I probably would have t'd up the coach for trying to take advantage of the rookie, but that would have depend on the nature of the game. I wasn't there, so i couldn't tell you for sure on t.

now both coaches are ticked. One thinks he should get another shot, the other knows he would have got the rebound and now doesn't get the ball. About two minutes later another player fouls out and the other coach refuses to provide a sub as a protest over the whole thing, so i have to t him up.
technically, you could have ended the game, as that would be a forfeiture brought on by the coach. However, i would have t'd him up too and see if that would get him to put in another player. If not after that, then automatic forfeit.
Guys, do any of you have enough energy to deal with this guy?
His comments indicate that he is cocky, arrogant, brash, a control freak, and grossly incorrect in the rulings which he provides, yet seems to expect us to roll out the welcome mat for the presence of this new king of officiating. I seriously doubt that he is working above the JV level.

I wish the ol' cranky one hadn't departed.

Lah me.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Be careful what you wish for.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His comments indicate that he is cocky, arrogant, brash, a control freak, and grossly incorrect in the rulings which he provides, yet seems to expect us to roll out the welcome mat for the presence of this new king of officiating. I seriously doubt that he is working above the JV level.

Lah me.
Reminds me of you but your rulings are at least correct
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Lah me.
I'm working on it. Trying to figure out if I should channel my inner rainmaker, jurassic, or nevada.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Lah me.
I was just simply giving my opinion and interpretation of the rules. Yes, I was wrong on the forfeiture thing, because I was thinking of a soccer rule, not basketball. My apologies for that.

And yes, I am doing Varsity games. It's my first season doing Varsity games, but have done them in summer league and scrimmages for a few years.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I was just simply giving my opinion and interpretation of the rules. Yes, I was wrong on the forfeiture thing, because I was thinking of a soccer rule, not basketball. My apologies for that.

And yes, I am doing Varsity games. It's my first season doing Varsity games, but have done them in summer league and scrimmages for a few years.
Nevada disagrees with other rulings you gave as well.
Personally, I'd stop the clock immediately in the OP.

I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of taking "some" time off, just because you know something came off.

Finally, knowing Nevada as I do, I'm comfortable saying he's not just referring to this thread.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Gee, would that be because it's not the rule?
What, exactly, do you mean by this? There are provisions for a forfeit under extreme circumstances. I personally did it once.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What, exactly, do you mean by this? There are provisions for a forfeit under extreme circumstances. I personally did it once.
You're correct, but failing to provide a sub within 20 seconds does not qualify.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 04:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're correct, but failing to provide a sub within 20 seconds does not qualify.
But, then, after being assessed a technical, what if he still doesn't provide the sub?

The phrase "......repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions...." is contained in 5-4-1. At some point you would have no choice.

Lonesome Dove