The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Last scrimmage

Last scrimmage of the season V-G, two plays I believe I got right, just want to throw these out there for any feedback.

1) Throw in on the end line, front court, white. Ball is thrown over the head of a teamate bouncing towards backcourt (so far so good) 3-4 feet short of division line, white pushes ball over the line into the back court. My call violation. Coach comes up with there was no team control. I told him that the girl controled the ball by directing it into the back court, if she had let the ball bounce in the back court their would not have been a violation.

2) White going straight back up after a rebound for a shot from under the basket. Green defender smacks the ball after release OOB. After Green hits the ball, her follow through hooks shooters arm and brings shooter to the ground pretty hard on her back. I give ball back to White on end line. Right after my whistle I thought crap....to quick on the whistle. I've always been taught at different camps to call the obvious that everyone can see, so I was beating myself up over this missed (?) call. Later on I reasoned with myself that since the ball had been blocked and the contact was not intentional or flagrant I was correct in giving it back to White on the end line.

Friday, December 18th opening night....can't get here fast enough.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1) If, in the brief moment when white was redirecting the ball into the backcourt, you would have legally granted a TO request, then you got the call right. If, however, she merely tapped it (which is how I read this), then she never established player control. Therefore, there was no team control in the FC before she controled it in the BC.

2) HTBT, but if the contact knocked the shooter to the floor, and the contact happened either a) while the shooter was airborne, or b) before the ball went OOB, you might want to get the foul.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

1. If she gained control in the FC and met the other provisions of 9-1-1, then good call. I'd say this one is HTBT.

2. I think you missed a foul on an airborne shooter. Doesn't matter if she has already released the ball, per 4-19-1.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 11:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef View Post
Last scrimmage of the season V-G, two plays I believe I got right, just want to throw these out there for any feedback.

Friday, December 18th opening night....can't get here fast enough.
Based on what I'm reading, you also may have got them both wrong....

1) Team control established?

2) Airborne shooter rule?

Bottom Line - it's early in the season (especially yours) and let's get em out of the way and learn from them!
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef View Post
white pushes ball
Was it a dribble? If so, then player control and therefore team control, was established and you got it right. If it wasn't a dribble, then no player or team control and you got it wrong.

"Maybe" it was a dribble? Sorry - you can't "maybe" blow your whistle.