The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last scrimmage (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55943-last-scrimmage.html)

JerzeeRef Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36am

Last scrimmage

Last scrimmage of the season V-G, two plays I believe I got right, just want to throw these out there for any feedback.

1) Throw in on the end line, front court, white. Ball is thrown over the head of a teamate bouncing towards backcourt (so far so good) 3-4 feet short of division line, white pushes ball over the line into the back court. My call violation. Coach comes up with there was no team control. I told him that the girl controled the ball by directing it into the back court, if she had let the ball bounce in the back court their would not have been a violation.

2) White going straight back up after a rebound for a shot from under the basket. Green defender smacks the ball after release OOB. After Green hits the ball, her follow through hooks shooters arm and brings shooter to the ground pretty hard on her back. I give ball back to White on end line. Right after my whistle I thought crap....to quick on the whistle. I've always been taught at different camps to call the obvious that everyone can see, so I was beating myself up over this missed (?) call. Later on I reasoned with myself that since the ball had been blocked and the contact was not intentional or flagrant I was correct in giving it back to White on the end line.

Friday, December 18th opening night....can't get here fast enough.

Adam Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:40am

1) If, in the brief moment when white was redirecting the ball into the backcourt, you would have legally granted a TO request, then you got the call right. If, however, she merely tapped it (which is how I read this), then she never established player control. Therefore, there was no team control in the FC before she controled it in the BC.

2) HTBT, but if the contact knocked the shooter to the floor, and the contact happened either a) while the shooter was airborne, or b) before the ball went OOB, you might want to get the foul.

mbyron Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42am

1. If she gained control in the FC and met the other provisions of 9-1-1, then good call. I'd say this one is HTBT.

2. I think you missed a foul on an airborne shooter. Doesn't matter if she has already released the ball, per 4-19-1.

grunewar Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzeeRef (Post 642975)
Last scrimmage of the season V-G, two plays I believe I got right, just want to throw these out there for any feedback.

Friday, December 18th opening night....can't get here fast enough.

Based on what I'm reading, you also may have got them both wrong.... :confused:

1) Team control established?

2) Airborne shooter rule?

Bottom Line - it's early in the season (especially yours) and let's get em out of the way and learn from them!

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzeeRef (Post 642975)
white pushes ball

Was it a dribble? If so, then player control and therefore team control, was established and you got it right. If it wasn't a dribble, then no player or team control and you got it wrong.

"Maybe" it was a dribble? Sorry - you can't "maybe" blow your whistle.