The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic Ankle Tether

Would an electronic ankle tether be considered illegal if covered/taped/padded/etc? Heard from a brother official of a HS BJV player allowed to play w/ one. Player was required to cover it, and then was allowed to play. Apparently the officials thought the device was not a safety concern. Although it may be of no saftey concern to other players, it is an "unnatural" piece of equipment - I say "no play". Any thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Hmmm. It's either a safety concern or it's legal. "Unnatural?" Is that from the book of Leviticus?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:30pm
M.A.S.H.

If you deem it unnatural, you must also say that it's designed to increase a player's height or reach or to gain an advantage. I'm not seeing an advantage gained. (3-5-4)

3-5-2c
Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.

As long as I thought it was safe, I would allow it.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Why does the term Parole Officer pop into my head?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

As long as it is not a safety concern, why would you care? Sure, it's unusual. But it's not giving the kid any kind of advantage. And unlike most other apparel and equipment items, I'm guessing this cannot be easily removed.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:14pm
M.A.S.H.

I'm guessing... but I'd say if it was removed it'd be some type of violation... and I'm not talking about Rule 9.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you should ask if they are wearing it because of some kind of violent action
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Had that exact situation last year, we let the kid play, no problems. Asked our supervisor later, they said we were ok with letting him play. Of course, in the varsity game after our game with ankle monitor boy, there was a huge fight in the stands during the varsity game, which had to be stopped for a few minutes to let the police get control! An interesting night all around!
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

It's like a religious medal or similar--in this case his parole officer is his "Higher Power."
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Both my wife & I are wondering why was he even allowed to play with the Electronic Ankle Tether, as that normally constitutes close monitoring by a parole officer. Maybe his playing was considered community service?
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Both my wife & I are wondering why was he even allowed to play with the Electronic Ankle Tether, as that normally constitutes close monitoring by a parole officer. Maybe his playing was considered community service?
Or maybe he's allowed to be at "home" and at "school" and since the game was as "school" it was allowed.

My guess is that it's not as uncommon as many here seem to think -- it's just that most of the time it goes unnoticed.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

My guess is that it's not as uncommon as many here seem to think -- it's just that most of the time it goes unnoticed.
And as the technology becomes smaller, will become unnoticeable (and thus cease to be an issue for officials).
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Or maybe he's allowed to be at "home" and at "school" and since the game was as "school" it was allowed.

I was kinda thinking the same thing myself, that if it's an away game he must be with the team at all times, aka be under constant supervision via his coach. It's cool to hear he's still allowed to participate as interscholastic activities are great character builders.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

the first time I saw one - my partner grabbed my arm as they were warming up - pointed at the kids ankle and said, "Chr!st - is that a pack of cigarettes?" as it was covered up by his sock. He asked the coach who explained that the player was currently going through some personal difficulties.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

This whole thread belongs in Sports Illustrated's "Sign of the Apocolypse" section.