The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

When is enough ... enough

bas2456 gave his first T recently. I am a 3 year official and have only given 1 (in my first year). My partner says I take too much s_ _ _ from coaches - I will admit I am having trouble deciding when they have pissed and moaned too much... help or advice...

Had a game Friday - boys JV - my partner and I called a good game in our opinion - but the coaches *****ed non stop most of the game - just about every call... getting real tired of it!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

If you're getting tired of it, you're taking too much.

It doesn't necessarily mean you need to call more Ts, but you may need to take a more direct approach in addressing a coach who is chirping way too much. Early in the game, a statement that indicates that you're not going to listen to his complaining all night (said in a professional way that works for you) is more than appropriate - it sounds like it's needed.

Then, if he continues, you have to be willing to follow up with a T.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:53am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
If you're getting tired of it, you're taking too much.

It doesn't necessarily mean you need to call more Ts, but you may need to take a more direct approach in addressing a coach who is chirping way too much. Early in the game, a statement that indicates that you're not going to listen to his complaining all night (said in a professional way that works for you) is more than appropriate - it sounds like it's needed.

Then, if he continues, you have to be willing to follow up with a T.
Sound advice.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a very personal thing. I had a coach on Saturday that complained about a double whistle that I had, where the ball came my area and I made the call in the lane. The coach was out of the box and I reported the foul. Immediately after the foul call, I went up to him and said; "If you are going to say anything to me about a call, it better be in this box" as I walked him back to the box. He later then said to me, "The other coach is out of the box, why don't you say anything to him?" I said back to him, "He is coaching and has not said a word to me.....when he stops coaching, I will address him too." I did not hear another word from this coach about anything. And this was so early in the game, I honestly thought hard about popping him. Now if he had not adhered to me comments, he would have got a T early. I was honestly tired of him already, but felt I could handle it another way. This comes with time and experience to know what to do and what to say and what is too far for you. I could have stuck him and next time he might not get much of a pass, but considering everything, I handled it the way I felt I needed to. I did this by having enough of his crap. I just did not need to do anything.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

For me, and it was the first time I had to deal with it, enough was enough when I said it was. The coach in this situation was vocal all game up until this point. Then I told him I had heard enough. He kept talking so I gave him a technical.

I hope that in the future, I can avoid giving technicals, because nobody likes to deal with them. The trick, as JRutledge has pointed out, is assessing each situation separately. The way I take it, is if you can avoid it by talking with the coach and saying, look, enough is enough, then great. Sometimes you might have to whack him early to get him to stop.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Here is my gauge - when the actions of the coach 'helping/questioning' affect my concentration I deal with it. If it continues, I apply a simple, proven administrative method that starts with a 'T'
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

IMO, you need to address it in some manner; doesn't necessarily equate to giving a 'T'.

I had a coach Saturday who was getting on my nerves. Whining the whole 1st quarter even though his team was up by 10 AND the foul count was in his favor. After the 1st quarter when I went to the table he started to approach me about "contact on both ends, blah, blah, blah". I cut him off before he could finish and told him that "this is not a conversation we are going to have". He tried me one more time in the 2nd quarter on block call he didn't like. I ended that conversation ratherly tersely. Didn't hear from him the rest of the game.

You need to remember you are the authority figure in the game. Sometimes you just need to take charge.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 12:09pm.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

There's an old saying that the purpose of a technical is to stop bad behavior, and if you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the T, you're just that much ahead.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's an old saying that the purpose of a technical is to stop bad behavior, and if you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the T, you're just that much ahead.
That is the best advice I have ever seen on here.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is a very personal thing. I had a coach on Saturday that complained about a double whistle that I had, where the ball came my area and I made the call in the lane. The coach was out of the box and I reported the foul. Immediately after the foul call, I went up to him and said; "If you are going to say anything to me about a call, it better be in this box" as I walked him back to the box. He later then said to me, "The other coach is out of the box, why don't you say anything to him?" I said back to him, "He is coaching and has not said a word to me.....when he stops coaching, I will address him too." I did not hear another word from this coach about anything. And this was so early in the game, I honestly thought hard about popping him. Now if he had not adhered to me comments, he would have got a T early. I was honestly tired of him already, but felt I could handle it another way. This comes with time and experience to know what to do and what to say and what is too far for you. I could have stuck him and next time he might not get much of a pass, but considering everything, I handled it the way I felt I needed to. I did this by having enough of his crap. I just did not need to do anything.

Peace
If a coach is out of his box, even if he is just coaching, we still need to make sure he stays in his box. I am not saying you need to warn or whack them just kindly remind them to stay within the lines.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW,
When I started, 6 years ago, I recognized real quickly I was gonna have to learn to deal with the coaches. I, quite frankly, wasn't gonna have people yelling at me. I came here and got the advice. I applied the advice and its like magic. It works.

I'm now a Varsity ref and I address things real early in my games. I follow up when necessary and for the most part there aren't many coaching tantrums other then the "head pops off" kind. Addressing these are a no brainer -TWEET

But the ongoing whining and complaining doesn't fly for very long with me.

Get the advice here you need and then apply it.

I went with the three step method when I started out.

1. Talk with them.
2. Stop sign.
3. Reward their behavior.....

It worked for me.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

You need to pregame this. The first time it gets to be excessive, you or a partner needs to blow the whistle (during a dead ball), step out, and announce that "the bench has been warned." This is, of course, after saying something to the effect of "we've heard enough" to the coach. After the verbal announcement, each partner can deal with whatever issues come up as he or she sees fit, however, if you choose to call a T then, you've laid a perfect foundation for it, and everyone on the floor knows it.

This will likely prevent the other bench from doing something similar. This technique has worked pretty well for us, but it requires a pregame discussion.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If a coach is out of his box, even if he is just coaching, we still need to make sure he stays in his box. I am not saying you need to warn or whack them just kindly remind them to stay within the lines.
You really missed the point.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
That is the best advice I have ever seen on here.
And you got it from Mark? I'm impressed.....I think!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I'm sure Jeff does..........