The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Shootarounds during halftime

Is there a rule/regulation from the NFHS that states that during halftime, the team in the next contest can go out onto floor for a shootaround?

I had this situation happen tonight during both the C-Sqaud (Visiting JV Shootaround @ Halftime) & JV (Visiting V Shootaround @ Halftime).

How I understand rules/regulations, th only ones allowed on the floor at halftime are those doing floor sweeps, dance/drill, a school-sponsored fundraiser shoot, or the teams returning from halftime. The only time allowed for a team for shootaround/warmups is the time immediately before their game. The AD allowed them to. Am just wanting a clarification.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Is there a rule/regulation from the NFHS that states that during halftime, the team in the next contest can go out onto floor for a shootaround?

I had this situation happen tonight during both the C-Sqaud (Visiting JV Shootaround @ Halftime) & JV (Visiting V Shootaround @ Halftime).

How I understand rules/regulations, th only ones allowed on the floor at halftime are those doing floor sweeps, dance/drill, a school-sponsored fundraiser shoot, or the teams returning from halftime. The only time allowed for a team for shootaround/warmups is the time immediately before their game. The AD allowed them to. Am just wanting a clarification.
No. Man if you are going to continue to look for ways to bust people, maybe you should get a rulebook.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

I was just curious if there was a specific ruling was all. I thought I remembered hearing something before, I was just curious, if it was true.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The AD allowed them to.
This isn't good enough for you?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
This isn't good enough for you?
LMAO, Well we were also playing in the secondary gym, so the rules are a bit more relaxed, than in the main gym.

It wasn't till after the fact, I learned of the AD allowing it.

From the reactions of the visiting coaches, they are allowed to do the shootarounds during the halftime of the game previous to their game, no matter where they're playing.

Generally, the rule was in either gym last year, that no one was allowed on the floor at halftime, unless dance/drill halftime performance, floor sweepng, or a school activity fundraiser. So I was thinking of the rules that were in play at the site from last year.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

They can do what they want during halftime up to the 3 minute mark. I'm on break.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Me Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
They can do what they want during halftime up to the 3 minute mark. I'm on break.
That's right. Time to get a quick smoke and a beer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Unfortunately, the 1st game of the night, Boys' C-Squad had only a 5 minute halftime, not enough time for a smoke & brew.

The floor officials came to the table for the book check & mentioned that the halftime would be 5 minutes. I asked why the 5 minute half, when I had paperwork in front of me stating 10 minute halftime (Instructions to & Duties of the Timer for basketball games off the NFHS website), showed where on the paperwork it stated that & so they asked the coaches about the 5 minute halftime, both coaches said let's do it.

The response was both coaches agreed to the shorter halftime. I had the rules/regulations in front of me saying 10 minute halftime. Who was right & who was wrong?

The following below is listed under Timing Regulations on the aforementioned document:
"For teens of high school age — four quarters of eight minutes
each with intermissions of one minute after the first and third
quarters and 10 minutes between halves. Halftime may be
extended to a maximum of 15 minutes upon proper notification."
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the 1st game of the night, Boys' C-Squad had only a 5 minute halftime, not enough time for a smoke & brew.

The floor officials came to the table for the book check & mentioned that the halftime would be 5 minutes. I asked why the 5 minute half, when I had paperwork in front of me stating 10 minute halftime (Instructions to & Duties of the Timer for basketball games off the NFHS website), showed where on the paperwork it stated that & so they asked the coaches about the 5 minute halftime, both coaches said let's do it.

The response was both coaches agreed to the shorter halftime. I had the rules/regulations in front of me saying 10 minute halftime. Who was right & who was wrong?

The following below is listed under Timing Regulations on the aforementioned document:
"For teens of high school age — four quarters of eight minutes
each with intermissions of one minute after the first and third
quarters and 10 minutes between halves. Halftime may be
extended to a maximum of 15 minutes upon proper notification."
One thing to be aware of - in many places, sub-varsity games are regulated slightly differently. Halftime may be shorter, illegal uniforms, numbers, etc may be allowed, the length of periods may be reduced. Here, a running clock can even come into play based on being done in time for varsity games.

I'd encourage you to accept the word of the officials on matters like that.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
One thing to be aware of - in many places, sub-varsity games are regulated slightly differently. Halftime may be shorter, illegal uniforms, numbers, etc may be allowed, the length of periods may be reduced. Here, a running clock can even come into play based on being done in time for varsity games.

I'd encourage you to accept the word of the officials on matters like that.
Speaking of illegal unifroms, home C-Squad had the home yellow jerseys on, but each player had on shorts that were black, & each had a slightly different style.

I did accept what they said about doing the 5 minute halftime, since both coaches agreed to it as well.

Thanks to doing the shorter halftime for that the game, both the JV & V games were started right on time.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking of illegal unifroms, home C-Squad had the home yellow jerseys on, but each player had on shorts that were black, & each had a slightly different style.
I thought you were speaking about illegal uniforms. While perhaps not literally compliant with the description in the rules book, there's no penalty for what you describe.

I see you have a very strict interpretation of "right and wrong." I suggest you try to find some grey, and remember that the officials need to understand the "spirit and intent" of the rules, especially for C-level games and especially for administrative issues (so especially squared for administrative issues during a c-level game). (And I say that only to the extent it's possible given to your neurological issues.)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 05:07pm.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The only thing that has to be the same is the jersey top and that is in color not complete style. The shorts can be any color and not match. And at the lower level, we are really not going to get into this issue.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
So, THAT'S what happened after the MONK series ended.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Okay, that's it. I have been playing with giving this officating gig a try. Now that I know what "really" goes on @ half time, I'M IN. LOL. What excatly are you smoking @ half? LOL I would be happy to supply my homebrewed beer as well.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 06:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When You're Having More Than One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
Okay, that's it. I have been playing with giving this officiating gig a try. Now that I know what "really" goes on @ half time, I'M IN. I would be happy to supply my homebrewed beer as well.
Seriously. We have a prep school in our area that offers ice cold beer, along with soda, and water, to officials. It's iced, and ready to go before the game, is very tempting at halftime, but nothing tastes better than an ice cold beer immediately after a game. A Catholic middle school use to offer the same, along with pizza, and hamburgers, but the coach, and athletic director, moved on to greener pastures, and now all we get is a Gatorade.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)