The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shootarounds during halftime (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55884-shootarounds-during-halftime.html)

chseagle Sun Dec 13, 2009 03:53am

Shootarounds during halftime

Is there a rule/regulation from the NFHS that states that during halftime, the team in the next contest can go out onto floor for a shootaround?

I had this situation happen tonight during both the C-Sqaud (Visiting JV Shootaround @ Halftime) & JV (Visiting V Shootaround @ Halftime).

How I understand rules/regulations, th only ones allowed on the floor at halftime are those doing floor sweeps, dance/drill, a school-sponsored fundraiser shoot, or the teams returning from halftime. The only time allowed for a team for shootaround/warmups is the time immediately before their game. The AD allowed them to. Am just wanting a clarification.

Ignats75 Sun Dec 13, 2009 04:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 642200)
Is there a rule/regulation from the NFHS that states that during halftime, the team in the next contest can go out onto floor for a shootaround?

I had this situation happen tonight during both the C-Sqaud (Visiting JV Shootaround @ Halftime) & JV (Visiting V Shootaround @ Halftime).

How I understand rules/regulations, th only ones allowed on the floor at halftime are those doing floor sweeps, dance/drill, a school-sponsored fundraiser shoot, or the teams returning from halftime. The only time allowed for a team for shootaround/warmups is the time immediately before their game. The AD allowed them to. Am just wanting a clarification.

No. Man if you are going to continue to look for ways to bust people, maybe you should get a rulebook.

chseagle Sun Dec 13, 2009 04:23am

I was just curious if there was a specific ruling was all. I thought I remembered hearing something before, I was just curious, if it was true.

Back In The Saddle Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 642200)
The AD allowed them to.

This isn't good enough for you? :rolleyes:

chseagle Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 642212)
This isn't good enough for you? :rolleyes:

LMAO, Well we were also playing in the secondary gym, so the rules are a bit more relaxed, than in the main gym.

It wasn't till after the fact, I learned of the AD allowing it.

From the reactions of the visiting coaches, they are allowed to do the shootarounds during the halftime of the game previous to their game, no matter where they're playing.

Generally, the rule was in either gym last year, that no one was allowed on the floor at halftime, unless dance/drill halftime performance, floor sweepng, or a school activity fundraiser. So I was thinking of the rules that were in play at the site from last year.

rlarry Sun Dec 13, 2009 07:11am

They can do what they want during halftime up to the 3 minute mark. I'm on break.

BillyMac Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35am

Me Too ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarry (Post 642216)
They can do what they want during halftime up to the 3 minute mark. I'm on break.

That's right. Time to get a quick smoke and a beer.

chseagle Sun Dec 13, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642239)

Unfortunately, the 1st game of the night, Boys' C-Squad had only a 5 minute halftime, not enough time for a smoke & brew.

The floor officials came to the table for the book check & mentioned that the halftime would be 5 minutes. I asked why the 5 minute half, when I had paperwork in front of me stating 10 minute halftime (Instructions to & Duties of the Timer for basketball games off the NFHS website), showed where on the paperwork it stated that & so they asked the coaches about the 5 minute halftime, both coaches said let's do it.

The response was both coaches agreed to the shorter halftime. I had the rules/regulations in front of me saying 10 minute halftime. Who was right & who was wrong?

The following below is listed under Timing Regulations on the aforementioned document:
"For teens of high school age — four quarters of eight minutes
each with intermissions of one minute after the first and third
quarters and 10 minutes between halves. Halftime may be
extended to a maximum of 15 minutes upon proper notification."

jdw3018 Sun Dec 13, 2009 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 642290)
Unfortunately, the 1st game of the night, Boys' C-Squad had only a 5 minute halftime, not enough time for a smoke & brew.

The floor officials came to the table for the book check & mentioned that the halftime would be 5 minutes. I asked why the 5 minute half, when I had paperwork in front of me stating 10 minute halftime (Instructions to & Duties of the Timer for basketball games off the NFHS website), showed where on the paperwork it stated that & so they asked the coaches about the 5 minute halftime, both coaches said let's do it.

The response was both coaches agreed to the shorter halftime. I had the rules/regulations in front of me saying 10 minute halftime. Who was right & who was wrong?

The following below is listed under Timing Regulations on the aforementioned document:
"For teens of high school age — four quarters of eight minutes
each with intermissions of one minute after the first and third
quarters and 10 minutes between halves. Halftime may be
extended to a maximum of 15 minutes upon proper notification."

One thing to be aware of - in many places, sub-varsity games are regulated slightly differently. Halftime may be shorter, illegal uniforms, numbers, etc may be allowed, the length of periods may be reduced. Here, a running clock can even come into play based on being done in time for varsity games.

I'd encourage you to accept the word of the officials on matters like that.

chseagle Sun Dec 13, 2009 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 642291)
One thing to be aware of - in many places, sub-varsity games are regulated slightly differently. Halftime may be shorter, illegal uniforms, numbers, etc may be allowed, the length of periods may be reduced. Here, a running clock can even come into play based on being done in time for varsity games.

I'd encourage you to accept the word of the officials on matters like that.

Speaking of illegal unifroms, home C-Squad had the home yellow jerseys on, but each player had on shorts that were black, & each had a slightly different style.

I did accept what they said about doing the 5 minute halftime, since both coaches agreed to it as well.

Thanks to doing the shorter halftime for that the game, both the JV & V games were started right on time.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 13, 2009 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 642294)
Speaking of illegal unifroms, home C-Squad had the home yellow jerseys on, but each player had on shorts that were black, & each had a slightly different style.

I thought you were speaking about illegal uniforms. While perhaps not literally compliant with the description in the rules book, there's no penalty for what you describe.

I see you have a very strict interpretation of "right and wrong." I suggest you try to find some grey, and remember that the officials need to understand the "spirit and intent" of the rules, especially for C-level games and especially for administrative issues (so especially squared for administrative issues during a c-level game). (And I say that only to the extent it's possible given to your neurological issues.)

JRutledge Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 642294)

The only thing that has to be the same is the jersey top and that is in color not complete style. The shorts can be any color and not match. And at the lower level, we are really not going to get into this issue.

Peace

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:53pm

So, THAT'S what happened after the MONK series ended.

Thumper68 Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642239)

Okay, that's it. I have been playing with giving this officating gig a try. Now that I know what "really" goes on @ half time, I'M IN. LOL. What excatly are you smoking @ half? LOL I would be happy to supply my homebrewed beer as well.

BillyMac Mon Dec 14, 2009 06:50pm

When You're Having More Than One ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper68 (Post 642485)
Okay, that's it. I have been playing with giving this officiating gig a try. Now that I know what "really" goes on @ half time, I'M IN. I would be happy to supply my homebrewed beer as well.

Seriously. We have a prep school in our area that offers ice cold beer, along with soda, and water, to officials. It's iced, and ready to go before the game, is very tempting at halftime, but nothing tastes better than an ice cold beer immediately after a game. A Catholic middle school use to offer the same, along with pizza, and hamburgers, but the coach, and athletic director, moved on to greener pastures, and now all we get is a Gatorade.