The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:18pm
Esteemed Participant

T during halftime

Talked with a buddy of mine last night...had his first game of the season last Saturday. D-II school vs. D-III school...D-II school has brand new coach just moved up from the HS ranks, and it's his first game. Coach doesn't like the way hand-checking is being called, and vents a little bit. Official discusses it with him during free throws...next call, Coach vents louder and longer and gets a warning about 50 seconds before halftime. At halftime, Coach follows the officials out into the hallway and starts cussing them out...two whistles are blown in the hallway and coach is T'd...start second half with free throws. 22 seconds into the second half, a handcheck is called ON THE OTHER TEAM, and coach jumps up and starts screaming...whack. Second T and goodbye...on the drive home, the conference assignor calls the officials and tells them she already knows about the ejection because the AD called her and told her his coach deserved it...

So all that to ask two questions:

1)Ever had to T a coach in the hallway during halftime?

2)Ever had to T a coach for screaming at you after you called a foul on the other team?
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

2)Ever had to T a coach for screaming at you after you called a foul on the other team?
1) No, haven't had that privilege yet

2) Two seasons ago. Not after a call I made, but after an intentional foul (on an offensive player) that my partner called on the opposing team. Coach was still yelling at me about a non-call from the previous play (mind you, his team is up by 30 points). If fact he yelled so much I ended up giving him a 2nd T before my partner made it to the scorer's table to report the other team's intentional foul. It's the only time in HS or JuCo that I've ever had to eject somebody. The next year (last season) I had the coach for only one game and he didn't say squat to me (coincidentally I had the same partner). His team went on to win the state championship and he has moved on to the college ranks. He was one of the best X's & O's coaches I've ever seen in my life, but he could be a real jerk towards officials.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yep - 5 years ago Frosh coach got in my partners face on his way out of the gym and said the magic words. He T'd him. We kicked handling it though...we had someone from the other team shoot right away vs. starting the 3rd.....they had to send someone out of the locker room to shoot!! LOL. Oops!

This is of course........INCORRECT and I kinda know the rule now.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Gave one "T" to a player at halftime in the last 5 years. Never gave a coach a "T" at half, but was in a game where we had to give 7 "T's" to ONE team. Head coach, Asst. Coach, and a player ALL ejected. Assistant Coach screamed and hollered and bumped my co-official on his way out the door. I gave ONE of the "T's," my partner gave the other six. I had to give the heave-ho to the player for yellling at me to, "call the foul . . . B****!" And guess what, it was a private Christian school, and there were NO repurcussions. Promised myself that day to never call that school again.

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 04:20pm.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Not Yet

1. NO I have not yet 'T' a coach during half time.

2. I was working a game where the home team was down by 17 points and crawled back into the game and were down by 3 points with 3:57 left in the game. The visiting coach was angry on a charge called I made. He proceeded to object about the call. I moved down to lead and the visiting coach kept yelling this time he was past halfcourt. I 'T'd him and the home team missed both shots and turned the ball over. The went from 3 down to 12 down in 57 seconds. The Home coach told me that I screwed him over. I asked him why? He said if I would have never 'T'd the other coach it would have not fired up the other team. Here's your sign.

3. I am new to this area. VERY BUDDY BUDDY AND GOOD OLD BOY system here. I long standing veteran official from this area told me his story and was confirmed by another. This vet was working a double header - girls then boys. One of the assigned officials for the boys game could not make it so he was told to take the game for him. AT the end of the hard fought heated girls game, this vet runs by the boys head coach. The head coach makes a comment that he is glad he doesn't have the vet for his game because he sucked. The vet official 'T's him up. Mind you the boys game is not for another 20-25 minutes. The AD objects. The vet tells him he will get 'T'd. Guess what - the AD gets a 'T'. When the officials come out for the boys game. The boys varsity coach is very upset still. He gets another 'T' and the AD again. The start the game with 8 free throws with the home team's head coach ejected. The visiting team makes 7 out of the 8. I asked a friend of mine who knew of this vet. He said yes and that the story was true. WOW. I never heard of a coach getting 'T'd up before the game.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

We a situation in a HS Girls' game where the Home Head Coach was complaining about how lopsided the fouls were. She said something along the line of "make sure you are calling it fair, the foul count is 7 to 2." My partner the replied to her, "Coach, you do realize the count is in your favor?" The Coach then responded, Instead od talking to me, try concentrating on the game." My partner responded with a T. When I came over to ask him what to tell her if she asked why she got T'd, he said because she is a moron.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 05:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

1) Nope

2) Yup
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
AT the end of the hard fought heated girls game, this vet runs by the boys head coach. The head coach makes a comment that he is glad he doesn't have the vet for his game because he sucked. The vet official 'T's him up. Mind you the boys game is not for another 20-25 minutes. The AD objects. The vet tells him he will get 'T'd. Guess what - the AD gets a 'T'. When the officials come out for the boys game. The boys varsity coach is very upset still. He gets another 'T' and the AD again. The start the game with 8 free throws with the home team's head coach ejected.
This seems very very wrong to me.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with Scrapper. I really don't like the idea of giving T's during the previous game. He's a fan in that game; no rules basis for giving him a T if he's not on the bench. If you absolutely must do something, eject him (it had better be pretty poor behavior from him.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

does not make sense

it doesn't make sense to me how the vet official did what he did...but he was never reprimended..the good ol' boy system here is very tight here...so i just keep my mouth shut about right and wrong here...i have questioned somethings...i was told that it is better to keep my mouth shut by my friend or GOBs would make it hard for me
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had worked the JV game with my partner and we stuck around to watch the varsity officials. Just before half time the visiting coach is getting into both officials. By the way he's losing by 20. Just before half he yells out to one of the official "where was that call at!". The official replied "coach don't you know you don't end a sentence with a preposition". He went completely blank and didn't say a word the whole next half. I asked the ref at half time why he let the coach get away with his ranting. He told me his partner and him had aready decided they were going to make him coach his kids, and not allow his to escape with and ejection. Not something I would recommend, but bonus points for creativity.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by iref4him
AT the end of the hard fought heated girls game, this vet runs by the boys head coach. The head coach makes a comment that he is glad he doesn't have the vet for his game because he sucked. The vet official 'T's him up. Mind you the boys game is not for another 20-25 minutes. The AD objects. The vet tells him he will get 'T'd. Guess what - the AD gets a 'T'. When the officials come out for the boys game. The boys varsity coach is very upset still. He gets another 'T' and the AD again. The start the game with 8 free throws with the home team's head coach ejected.

Not sure I would have called actual T's on the AD. I would have had him removed from the game site though. If that meant calling the PO-LICE, so be it.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
I had worked the JV game with my partner and we stuck around to watch the varsity officials. Just before half time the visiting coach is getting into both officials. By the way he's losing by 20. Just before half he yells out to one of the official "where was that call at!". The official replied "coach don't you know you don't end a sentence with a preposition". He went completely blank and didn't say a word the whole next half. I asked the ref at half time why he let the coach get away with his ranting. He told me his partner and him had aready decided they were going to make him coach his kids, and not allow his to escape with and ejection. Not something I would recommend, but bonus points for creativity.
I think the former Mr. Grammar Guy and the current contenders for that role, would be very proud
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This seems very very wrong to me.
Rather than tossing the coach before the game, I'd much rather see the look on his face when we met at the coaches/captains meeting for the boys game. Heck, I'd (almost) be willing to give my partner my game fee if he'd let me be the R and run that meeting. I'd meet the coach with a big smile, and hearty handshake, and "Coach, I can't tell you how gratifying it is to get to work your game tonight."