View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Unfortunately, the 1st game of the night, Boys' C-Squad had only a 5 minute halftime, not enough time for a smoke & brew.

The floor officials came to the table for the book check & mentioned that the halftime would be 5 minutes. I asked why the 5 minute half, when I had paperwork in front of me stating 10 minute halftime (Instructions to & Duties of the Timer for basketball games off the NFHS website), showed where on the paperwork it stated that & so they asked the coaches about the 5 minute halftime, both coaches said let's do it.

The response was both coaches agreed to the shorter halftime. I had the rules/regulations in front of me saying 10 minute halftime. Who was right & who was wrong?

The following below is listed under Timing Regulations on the aforementioned document:
"For teens of high school age — four quarters of eight minutes
each with intermissions of one minute after the first and third
quarters and 10 minutes between halves. Halftime may be
extended to a maximum of 15 minutes upon proper notification."
One thing to be aware of - in many places, sub-varsity games are regulated slightly differently. Halftime may be shorter, illegal uniforms, numbers, etc may be allowed, the length of periods may be reduced. Here, a running clock can even come into play based on being done in time for varsity games.

I'd encourage you to accept the word of the officials on matters like that.