The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 02:26pm
In Time Out

Quick advice to newbies(and good game)

had a close, competitive game last night with little chirping from the coaches and a good number of fans. I got a blocking call right with only a minute left with an and-1 and a charging call with a big collision that knocked a player out of the game briefly. We called the game the same the whole way as well.
Advice to the newbies which I am still sort of one--
Watch the AP arrow. Maybe use a rubber band or something in the pocket to switch because I corrected twice in the game.
The clock, didn't start and I had to adjust it. Hard to watch that and the game but a quick glance is fine.
Bonus- Watch the fouls and when a team goes to bonus. My partner and I did a good job of this. A lot of times and I've done it, the refs don't know and they have to be reminded.
On blocking and charging calls sell it and also if you are the lead step out so people can see you to make the call. You don't want to do it when people are colliding into each other and everyone misses the call.
Also in a game before I had the last shot but I wasn't ready to call it good or a miss(luckily it was a miss) but this time I was ready. we communicated on time left in the game and I was confident as the game neared the end. Winning shot with a few seconds left. Both coaches said good game to us as we were getting our jackets, I try to get out soon though even when the game goes fine.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Be careful with the rubber band thing. Some areas view this as a rookie move and will tell you quickly and certainly to get rid of it. Some places don't care, but I'd say the former far out number the latter.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 03:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Be careful with the rubber band thing. Some areas view this as a rookie move and will tell you quickly and certainly to get rid of it.
Concur. Unfortunately, at the lower levels some books/clocks don't keep up with the AP arrow so you're on your own.

There are several ways to keep up with it (the pocket device or rubber band being a few). One way I was taught was when you count for back court or closely guarded to say the team that gets the next possession - 1 white, 2 white, 3 white, etc.

Any other advice? (other than just remembering).
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 05:26pm
In Time Out

I heard of the rubber band but not seen it. Had a few say they use the pockets though.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I use the pockets in sub-varsity games where the scorer and timer are usually not top-notch.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

I use the button on my back left pocket as an indicator. If the pocket is closed, it goes to the right when facing the table. If it's open, the ball goes to the left of the table.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 06:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleone View Post
I use the button on my back left pocket as an indicator. If the pocket is closed, it goes to the right when facing the table. If it's open, the ball goes to the left of the table.
And after you mess with it so much it falls off you........?
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 06:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I've mentioned this before but here it is again. I use a Chap-Stick in my front pockets and move it from one to the other. I used to use a Hickory Farms Beef Stick, but I would get weird looks from the women coaches.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Both coaches said good game to us as we were getting our jackets, I try to get out soon though even when the game goes fine.
Are you saying you had to hang around the court to grab y'all jackets after the game was over? Usually around here, if we wear jackets before the game, we'll grab them at halftime and leave them in the locker room for the 2nd half.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Constitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Be careful with the rubber band thing. Some areas view this as a rookie move and will tell you quickly and certainly to get rid of it. Some places don't care.
... And some places make you switch the extra whistle in your pocket. We've been doing this for twenty-four years. You would think that, by now, the table crews would know how to switch the alternating possession arrow, wouldn't you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apologies To Our Massachusetts Colleagues ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Are you saying you had to hang around the court to grab y'all jackets after the game was over? Usually around here, if we wear jackets before the game, we'll grab them at halftime and leave them in the locker room for the 2nd half.
Good advice. Officials really don't want to be anywhere near the coaches after the final horn, if you know what I mean?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 08:42pm
In Time Out

oh yeah on that there wasn't a locker room so we just left them by the table. I usually put them on the other side of the court but there was some stuff over there. best advice has to be the beef hickory stick. may there not be dogs around.