The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

references only

Does anyone know where I'd find the references to these situations, or am I not finding the reference because there is no such rule (e.g. #3)?

1. A1 violates when a pass by A1 touches B1 who is standing on a sideline.

2. It is a violation if A1 drives for a loose ball and gains control on the floor.

3. While guarding, there is a minimum distance of one foot required between the guard and the opponent.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Don't have my books on me, but each one these can be referenced in the rule book.

#1 ,#2 & #3 will be refuted by the rule book.

Fixed it as I was not reading well today.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 02:49pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Don't have my books on me, but each one these can be referenced in the rule book.

#1 will be confirmed in the rule book.

#2 & #3 will be refuted by the rule book.
Thanks. I'll hit the books again then!
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post

It is actually the opposite. The OOB violation is on B1 for causing the ball to be out of bounds. 7-2-2 is your reference.

Quote:
2. It is a violation if A1 drives for a loose ball and gains control on the floor.
This is not a violation. A player is allowed to gain control on the floor and slide to a stop. 4-44-5 and 4.44.5 Situation B.

Quote:
3. While guarding, there is a minimum distance of one foot required between the guard and the opponent.
There is no minimum distance requirement. 4-23-1
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
A player is allowed to gain control on the floor and slide to a stop. 4-44-5 and 4.44.5 Situation B.
So do I understand right that if a player who slides and end on their stomach/chest cannot get tot their knees to pass the ball and must stay on their stomach/chest in order to pass it? (Of course, if they "want" to travel they can move other than that.)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:24pm
This IS My Social Life

4.44.5b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
So do I understand right that if a player who slides and end on their stomach/chest cannot get tot their knees to pass the ball and must stay on their stomach/chest in order to pass it? (Of course, if they "want" to travel they can move other than that.)
Does this clarify? - - -
4.44.5 SITUATION B: If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling.

Seems that rising to one's knees could be considered the equivalent of attempting to get to his/her feet, right?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Does this clarify? - - -
4.44.5 SITUATION B: If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling.

Seems that rising to one's knees cwould be considered the equivalent of attempting to get to his/her feet, right?
.....yes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks. I'll hit the books again then!
My original answer for #1 was wrong as I wasn't paying attention very well.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or call TO.

To your question about getting to his knees, that would be a violation. The pivot is the point that is in contact with the floor (when sitting, the rear end). When pivot is changed (to a foot when attempting to stand) a violation has occurred.

I also understand this to be true: A player on the ground violates if he moves so that the plane of his body that is in contact with the floor changes (ie, roll from back to side, roll from front to side, roll from side to back, etc). So no rolling around, basically.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:30pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or call request TO.

To your question about getting to his knees, that would be a violation. The pivot is the point that is in contact with the floor (when sitting, the rear end). When pivot is changed (to a foot when attempting to stand) a violation has occurred.

I also understand this to be true: A player on the ground violates if he moves so that the plane of his body that is in contact with the floor changes (ie, roll from back to side, roll from front to side, roll from side to back, etc). So no rolling around, basically.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anyone know where I'd find the references to these situations, or am I not finding the reference because there is no such rule (e.g. #3)?

All three were recent part II NFHS questions.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or call TO.

Uhm. Where is this found?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
thanks, I'll get this through my head someday.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Uhm. Where is this found?
Nowhere I guess, just trying to help by putting it in less technical terms. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Last edited by bbcof83; Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 04:00pm. Reason: Took out the term "Newbie" becaues I don't know if cdoug is one.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nowhere I guess, just trying to help the newbie by putting it in less technical terms. Or maybe I'm just lazy.
Fair enough.

I think it works fine as a "rule of thumb," but using the term "pivot" can be misleading. It could lead to the impression that an airborne player can catch the ball and then land on his stomach, back, or gluteus maximus as long as he doesn't then change his "pivot." That's not true, as it's a travel.

I had a coach tell me once that his player's cheek became his pivot after I called him for traveling for catching a ball and then landing on his Nevada.