The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   references only (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55776-references-only.html)

Clark Kent Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:36pm

references only

Does anyone know where I'd find the references to these situations, or am I not finding the reference because there is no such rule (e.g. #3)?

1. A1 violates when a pass by A1 touches B1 who is standing on a sideline.

2. It is a violation if A1 drives for a loose ball and gains control on the floor.

3. While guarding, there is a minimum distance of one foot required between the guard and the opponent.

Raymond Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:40pm

Don't have my books on me, but each one these can be referenced in the rule book.

#1 ,#2 & #3 will be refuted by the rule book.

Fixed it as I was not reading well today.

Clark Kent Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 641362)
Don't have my books on me, but each one these can be referenced in the rule book.

#1 will be confirmed in the rule book.

#2 & #3 will be refuted by the rule book.

Thanks. I'll hit the books again then! ;)

Welpe Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 641359)

It is actually the opposite. The OOB violation is on B1 for causing the ball to be out of bounds. 7-2-2 is your reference.

Quote:

2. It is a violation if A1 drives for a loose ball and gains control on the floor.
This is not a violation. A player is allowed to gain control on the floor and slide to a stop. 4-44-5 and 4.44.5 Situation B.

Quote:

3. While guarding, there is a minimum distance of one foot required between the guard and the opponent.
There is no minimum distance requirement. 4-23-1

cdoug Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 641364)
A player is allowed to gain control on the floor and slide to a stop. 4-44-5 and 4.44.5 Situation B.

So do I understand right that if a player who slides and end on their stomach/chest cannot get tot their knees to pass the ball and must stay on their stomach/chest in order to pass it? (Of course, if they "want" to travel they can move other than that.)

Freddy Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:24pm

4.44.5b

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 641371)
So do I understand right that if a player who slides and end on their stomach/chest cannot get tot their knees to pass the ball and must stay on their stomach/chest in order to pass it? (Of course, if they "want" to travel they can move other than that.)

Does this clarify? - - -
4.44.5 SITUATION B: If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling.

Seems that rising to one's knees could be considered the equivalent of attempting to get to his/her feet, right?

tjones1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 641387)
Does this clarify? - - -
4.44.5 SITUATION B: If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling.

Seems that rising to one's knees <s>c</s>would be considered the equivalent of attempting to get to his/her feet, right?

.....yes

Raymond Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 641363)
Thanks. I'll hit the books again then! ;)

My original answer for #1 was wrong as I wasn't paying attention very well.

bbcof83 Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 641371)

The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or call TO.

To your question about getting to his knees, that would be a violation. The pivot is the point that is in contact with the floor (when sitting, the rear end). When pivot is changed (to a foot when attempting to stand) a violation has occurred.

I also understand this to be true: A player on the ground violates if he moves so that the plane of his body that is in contact with the floor changes (ie, roll from back to side, roll from front to side, roll from side to back, etc). So no rolling around, basically.

tjones1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 641400)
The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or <s>call</s> request TO.

To your question about getting to his knees, that would be a violation. The pivot is the point that is in contact with the floor (when sitting, the rear end). When pivot is changed (to a foot when attempting to stand) a violation has occurred.

I also understand this to be true: A player on the ground violates if he moves so that the plane of his body that is in contact with the floor changes (ie, roll from back to side, roll from front to side, roll from side to back, etc). So no rolling around, basically.

;)

fullor30 Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 641359)
Does anyone know where I'd find the references to these situations, or am I not finding the reference because there is no such rule (e.g. #3)?

All three were recent part II NFHS questions.

Adam Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 641400)
The way I understand it is a player is allowed to dive for a ball, gain possession and slide as far as his momentum takes him. Once he stops he mustn't change his plane and can dribble, pass, shoot or call TO.

Uhm. Where is this found?

bbcof83 Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 641408)
;)

:D thanks, I'll get this through my head someday.

bbcof83 Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 641418)
Uhm. Where is this found?

Nowhere I guess, just trying to help by putting it in less technical terms. Or maybe I'm just lazy.:)

Adam Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 641424)
Nowhere I guess, just trying to help the newbie by putting it in less technical terms. Or maybe I'm just lazy.:)

Fair enough. ;)

I think it works fine as a "rule of thumb," but using the term "pivot" can be misleading. It could lead to the impression that an airborne player can catch the ball and then land on his stomach, back, or gluteus maximus as long as he doesn't then change his "pivot." That's not true, as it's a travel.

I had a coach tell me once that his player's cheek became his pivot after I called him for traveling for catching a ball and then landing on his Nevada.