The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Correctable error

BV game last night and I had my first correctable error. (possibly have had chances at others, but wasn't smart enough to catch them).

A1 who had the ball at the top of the key is fouled by B1 while A2 is held by B2 right in front of me. I hear my partner's whistle blow just as my arm was going up and A2 saw it and thought he was fouled. I was well aware that A1 was our shooter knowing that I didn't have a foul as lead on the play and called out to both my partners that A1 was our shooter. I retrieved the ball and addressed a player while my partner reported the foul and I verified that it was 1-1 with my partners. I bounced the ball to the shooter stepped back into my position as the shot went up and in. It was then that I realized that A2 was shooting and not A1. I blew my whistle and ran to my partner who made the initial call and asked him who was fouled. He also realized we had the wrong shooter. We put the right shooter at the line for the first of 1-1, but what I think I botched was that even though I waived off the ft after the make I am not sure if the table got the information. It ended up being a 10 point game, but still wish I would have paid better attention.

Now had the table not gotten the info of the first free throw not counting because it was shot by the incorrect player, I could have (or the R) corrected that anytime though out the game? Correct?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
BV game last night and I had my first correctable error. (possibly have had chances at others, but wasn't smart enough to catch them).

A1 who had the ball at the top of the key is fouled by B1 while A2 is held by B2 right in front of me. I hear my partner's whistle blow just as my arm was going up and A2 saw it and thought he was fouled. I was well aware that A1 was our shooter knowing that I didn't have a foul as lead on the play and called out to both my partners that A1 was our shooter. I retrieved the ball and addressed a player while my partner reported the foul and I verified that it was 1-1 with my partners. I bounced the ball to the shooter stepped back into my position as the shot went up and in. It was then that I realized that A2 was shooting and not A1. I blew my whistle and ran to my partner who made the initial call and asked him who was fouled. He also realized we had the wrong shooter. We put the right shooter at the line for the first of 1-1, but what I think I botched was that even though I waived off the ft after the make I am not sure if the table got the information. It ended up being a 10 point game, but still wish I would have paid better attention.

Now had the table not gotten the info of the first free throw not counting because it was shot by the incorrect player, I could have (or the R) corrected that anytime though out the game? Correct?
Correct. That would be a scoring/bookkeeping mistake.

BTW I put your mistake which led to this CE occurring in red. You took your eyes off the players for a brief moment to do something which we constantly counsel against and it burned you.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
BTW I put your mistake which led to this CE occurring in red. You took your eyes off the players for a brief moment to do something which we constantly counsel against and it burned you.
Maybe that wasn't the best word to describe what I did. I didn't chase it down, but rather it was at my feet and I gathered it. The reason for my blunder was prolly more for me listening to a player and focusing on them lining up rather than making sure the right shooter got to the line. The good thing was that I recognized it....I just hope I didn't step on my partner's toes being the young guy with two veterans.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Maybe that wasn't the best word to describe what I did. I didn't chase it down, but rather it was at my feet and I gathered it. The reason for my blunder was prolly more for me listening to a player and focusing on them lining up rather than making sure the right shooter got to the line. The good thing was that I recognized it....I just hope I didn't step on my partner's toes being the young guy with two veterans.
In that case, your self-assessment seems more accurate. In a situation that you know is unusual, you have to observe more carefully to prevent a problem. You are correct that you allowed a player to distract you from your primary duty of tracking the proper shooter for your partner as he goes and reports the foul.

I would give you a big attaboy for recognizing the wrong shooter, if I were your veteran partner. Don't worry one bit about stepping on the toes of another official when you are 100% saving someone else's butt.

Now only if you had recognized the wrong shooter prior to administering the ball to him!
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Now only if you had recognized the wrong shooter prior to administering the ball to him!
lol...no kidding.....that's what we are still working on!
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Same exact situation happened in the Indiana-Pitt game a couple of nights ago. I know Jim Burr was on the game, can't remember who else.

It can happen to even the most veteran officials.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

This makes me wonder and I should probably know this, who gets to shoot free throws if there are multiple fouls on multiple players (not a double personal foul)?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 08:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
This makes me wonder and I should probably know this, who gets to shoot free throws if there are multiple fouls on multiple players (not a double personal foul)?
Everyone, but you have to determine which happened first; which might negate some of those fouls due to a dead ball situation.