The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Question on inbounding/backcourt violation

Team A has ball on their frontcourt baseline. Player A1 throws the ball out towards midcourt towards Player A2. A2 is still in frontcourt. A2 reaches out to catch the pass and the ball tips her fingertip and bounces into the backcourt. A2 quickly retrieves the ball in backcourt. The referee called a backcourt (over and back) violation. I thought the Team A had to establish possession first for that to be a violation on an inbound play in the front court which they clearly had not. Is the ref correct in his call of over-and-back? Thanks for guidance in advance. Great forum!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
If the ball was never controlled inbounds (and it sounds like it wasn't from your description), then team control was never established and therefore a backcourt violation couldn't have occurred.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 323
If I have this correct, no team control exists during the throw-in (4-12-6). The thrown in ends when touched by a player (4-42-5). Presumably that means you then have team control, which was established in the front court. A was the last to touch in the FC, and first to touch it in the BC, thus you have a violation.
__________________
Be like a duck: cool and calm on the surface but paddling like the devil underneath....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:01pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
The official was incorrect in this situation. No violation.

You are correct. Must establish control, be the last to touch it in the frontcourt, and the first to touch it in the backcourt.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
If I have this correct, no team control exists during the throw-in (4-12-6). The thrown in ends when touched by a player (4-42-5). Presumably that means you then have team control, which was established in the front court. A was the last to touch in the FC, and first to touch it in the BC, thus you have a violation.
Not correct.

You were correct that the throw in ended when it was touched. However, that doesn't mean that team control has been established. In order to establish team control, a player must establish player control. The tap is not player control, therefore there is no team control until the player goes into the backcourt and gathers the ball.

There is never team control during a throw in, but there may or may not be team control after a throw in.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:03pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
If I have this correct, no team control exists during the throw-in (4-12-6). The thrown in ends when touched by a player (4-42-5). Presumably that means you then have team control, which was established in the front court. A was the last to touch in the FC, and first to touch it in the BC, thus you have a violation.
Incorrect. Check out 4-12-5.

4-12-5
Team control does not exist during a jump ball or the touching of a rebound, but it re-established when a player secures control.

With that said, check out 4-12-1.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 01:12am.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 323
Thanks for clarifying. I knew I was missing something somewhere.
__________________
Be like a duck: cool and calm on the surface but paddling like the devil underneath....
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJT622 View Post
Team A has ball on their frontcourt baseline.
Also remember it's endline. Baselines are in baseball, not basketball.

Over they yrs, you guys have brainwashed me.....

Using proper terminology is important when explaining rules....I continue to work at it.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,880
Remember, I Get 10% Of The Gross ...

Baselines are in baseball, not basketball. 2009 grunewar
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: kansas
Posts: 155
Smile Caveat

There is one caveat to this rule:

If a defender touches the ball first, the throw in ends and ball has front court status. Then A2 deflects ball while in front court and then goes and retrieves the ball in back court. This is a violation because the exclusion on the team control ends when the defender touches the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:26pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
There is one caveat to this rule:

If a defender touches the ball first, the throw in ends and ball has front court status. Then A2 deflects ball while in front court and then goes and retrieves the ball in back court. This is a violation because the exclusion on the team control ends when the defender touches the ball.
I disagree.

It's true that the throw-in has ended - and yes, there's no team control during a throw-in. However, just because the throw-in has ended doesn't mean team control has been re-established.

Therefore, in your post, when did Team A establish team control?

Check out post #6 for references as to when a team re-establishes team control.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 01:30pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
There is one caveat to this rule:

If a defender touches the ball first, the throw in ends and ball has front court status. Then A2 deflects ball while in front court and then goes and retrieves the ball in back court. This is a violation because the exclusion on the team control ends when the defender touches the ball.
Wrong. If the ball is simply deflected by A2, there is no team/player control established in the frontcourt. Just like a try for goal that deflects off of B1, then A1, then goes in the backcourt. It can be retrieved by A with no violation.

You're thinking of the one where someone from Team B deflects it, then A2 jumps from frontcourt to backcourt and catches it in the air and lands. That is a violation.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
There is one caveat to this rule:

If a defender touches the ball first, the throw in ends and ball has front court status. Then A2 deflects ball while in front court and then goes and retrieves the ball in back court. This is a violation because the exclusion on the team control ends when the defender touches the ball.
Either team touching the throw-in ends the throw-in. Neither team touching the throw-in grants team control.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another backcourt violation question ATXCoach Basketball 7 Mon Dec 18, 2006 03:27pm
Another backcourt violation question edge62 Basketball 10 Thu Feb 24, 2005 02:54pm
Backcourt Violation Question manhong Basketball 5 Thu Feb 10, 2005 08:34am
backcourt violation question pank Basketball 4 Tue Mar 09, 2004 05:58pm
Another Backcourt while inbounding? Art N Basketball 2 Thu Jun 08, 2000 08:47am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1