The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2000, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Team A has throw-in in their front court. A1 attempts a pass to A2 in the front court. B1 deflects the ball first, which then goes off/through A2's hands and into the back court, where A2 picks up the ball. Is this a back court? A2 really didn't have control. I called it and my partner said it was and that play explained at a camp. I'm second guessing myself now...arrrrgggg
Old Thu Jun 08, 2000, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

After my last inbounds attempt, I should probably quit! But I'll venture to say no team control by team A (there is no team control when the ball is being inbounded), therefore no backcourt.

We actually had a similar one called this weekend. A1 inbounding to A2, poorly passed and barely touched by A2, deflected well into backcourt, retrieved by A2, backcourt violation called. My assistant and I both thought that this was wrong call, but we were thankful that we were team B! Team A bench was not so pleased. Were all of us coaches wrong, or did I get this one right?
Old Thu Jun 08, 2000, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach,

You were right, no violation. Same would have held true if this were a shot by Team A and there was a long rebound. If a player of Team A simply touched the ball in an effort to catch it, but did not control it then there is no violation if the ball goes into backcourt and is retrieved by A. During a shot or a throw-in there is no team control. Team control can only be established by a player of either team holding or dribbling the ball inbounds. If no player held or dribbled then no team control and no backcourt violation.