LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
To those people who saw that last night:

Sorry you wasted an hour of your time.
I watched it, found it interesting and not a waste of time. To each their own.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
I just ordered the book last night. I'm kind of interested to listen to some of the allegations that he has put in writing, may be complete bs or some actual fact, the only one who ultimately know what went on is Donaghy himself.

Anyone else ordered the book or have any feelings? I know the feelings wont be strong but it's kind of like a train wreck, you cant help but look.
I can help it. I'm not in the least bit interested.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:31pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Tm Donaghy had nothing to say that I wanted to hear unless he was going to give a heart felt apologize to the entire (including soccer officials, ) sports officiating community for the disgusting thing that he did.
MTD, Sr.
Including soccer officials?? Easy there, Mark..... We all know who has to run the longest and the most out there.... Yup, the soccer officials..
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
To those people who saw that last night:

Sorry you wasted an hour of your time.
I did not find it a waste of time. It was interesting. It confirmed what I already knew about the man. And I loved how they tried to make a correlation to how many times he picked the right team. Hell, anyone can do that when you are intimately involved in an organization and you know a lot of inside information. Hell I can pick most winners of the high school teams I have and it does not matter who officiates to come to that conclusion. I have yet to have a team lose that I thought was going to win. This is why we call games where teams are not supposed to win, "Upsets."

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Apparently the producers at 60 Minutes.
Yea, but for me, they lost their credibility a long time ago. Too much like Geraldo and a sort of Rolex version of Jerry Springer. Gag.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the interview was interesting. I certainly don't trust everything he says to be truth, but you do have to wonder how he was able to get an 80% win rate if everything he says wasn't true. Just sayin'...
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I did not find it a waste of time. It was interesting. It confirmed what I already knew about the man. And I loved how they tried to make a correlation to how many times he picked the right team. Hell, anyone can do that when you are intimately involved in an organization and you know a lot of inside information. Hell I can pick most winners of the high school teams I have and it does not matter who officiates to come to that conclusion. I have yet to have a team lose that I thought was going to win. This is why we call games where teams are not supposed to win, "Upsets."

Peace
Rut - I don't think he meant he just picked winners that much, he meant he picked the teams that beat the spread that much. That's certainly not easy to do. In gambling terms, that's what "winner" means.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

What I find most interesting about this thread is that Jeremy feels its ok to dump on his fellow officials without any facts and just speak in platitudes. Klassy.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I thought the interview was interesting. I certainly don't trust everything he says to be truth, but you do have to wonder how he was able to get an 80% win rate if everything he says wasn't true. Just sayin'...
As Rut points out, intimate knowledge of the teams will give you that edge. I'll bet the players could do the same thing if picking between two other teams. I'd also bet Donaghy could have done just as well betting on teams he wasn't officiating.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As Rut points out, intimate knowledge of the teams will give you that edge. I'll bet the players could do the same thing if picking between two other teams. I'd also bet Donaghy could have done just as well betting on teams he wasn't officiating.
If you had watched the interview, you'd know that he did bet on many games he wasn't officiating. It was the knowledge about how certain officlals felt about certain players/coaches/owners that were major indicators on how the games would turn out. I don't think betting the spread and winning 80% of the time is easy in any professional sport. He had inside info from other refs. That's compelling.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If you had watched the interview, you'd know that he did bet on many games he wasn't officiating. It was the knowledge about how certain officlals felt about certain players/coaches/owners that were major indicators on how the games would turn out. I don't think betting the spread and winning 80% of the time is easy in any professional sport. He had inside info from other refs. That's compelling.
Sorry, but I find nothing he says to be compelling. Knowing how other officials call games (tight, loose, etc) and how much crap they take from players could give him this information. This is the intimate knowledge that Rut is alluding to.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Including soccer officials?? Easy there, Mark..... We all know who has to run the longest and the most out there.... Yup, the soccer officials..

I officiated H.S. soccer for 13 years. I am allowed my snide comments about them from time to time. Please do not take it personally.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Rut - I don't think he meant he just picked winners that much, he meant he picked the teams that beat the spread that much. That's certainly not easy to do. In gambling terms, that's what "winner" means.
I agree with you, but he has information that the average person does not have. He knows the players, coaches and officials intimately. I am sure if I had that information I could get most picks right. It is not like he got 100% right, he got 75%-80% right. And he would also talk to the officials before the game and know who was playing and who was not playing that night. Now he obviously is an intelligent guy as well and probably knew how to bet very well also. But he did not say anything that convinced me that there was a set up to make those outcomes happen. And according the FBI that was shown to also be the case as well.

I guess I do not get the "He was not sincere" aspect. He did not need to be for me to draw a conclusion. Maybe I am just naive, but I do not think we have as much control over games outcomes as many people think we do. And there was an example where Tim D, bet on the Spurs to win a game and he threw out the head coach and they lost and he lost his bet.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll add one more thing. Chances are he only bet on games where he thought he had information that would help him; further increasing the odds of success.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And there was an example where Tim D, bet on the Spurs to win a game and he threw out the head coach and they lost and he lost his bet.
I know that when we, as officials, get into "game mode", many of the calls just come virtually automatically without us having to stop and think about them - and that's how it's supposed to be. I wonder if that's what happened in this case.