The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor. Is it a travel as soon as he stops the dribble? Or would this be similar to the rules when there is a scramble for the ball?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

A player can't move beyond prescribed limits when holding the ball. The player was dribbling when his knees went to the floor, obviously this isn't traveling because he's dribbling. He then stops the dribble with both knees on the floor.

Has he moved beyond prescribed limits when holding the ball?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The "Curly Neal Rule" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary77 View Post
A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor.
The infamous knee on the floor traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot knee is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player in this situation may also.....request a timeout.
And, if proper, we will grant a timeout. Boy - I love this new terminology! (referencing another thread on "calling" a timeout)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released.
Disagree. As soon as the "pivot knee" (sic) is lifted, the player has attempted to stand. Violation.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor. Is it a travel as soon as he stops the dribble? Or would this be similar to the rules when there is a scramble for the ball?
At the end of the rule book is a list of "Basketball Rules Fundamentals." Read them, as they are very helpful.

Fundamental #6 states: "It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble."
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 05:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not from Missouri, but

Quote:
The infamous knee on the floor traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot knee is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout.
Show me. Show me where a "pivot knee" is described, mentioned, referenced, or defined in the rule book. It sounds suspiciously like the "pivot cheek" a coach tried to tell me about when his player landed on his cushion holding the ball.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 05:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Disagree. As soon as the "pivot knee" (sic) is lifted, the player has attempted to stand. Violation.
This is also how I have been taught - and how I referee it.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize if I misunderstood your replies.

I was not asking whether A1 traveled when he slipped but continued the dribble. I clearly understand that no travel can happen when he is dribbling. My question was more on "did he travel when he stopped his dribble and was now kneeling/seated on the floor (assuming that he doesn't stand up while holding the ball)?"
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 05:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I apologize if I misunderstood your replies.

I was not asking whether A1 traveled when he slipped but continued the dribble. I clearly understand that no travel can happen when he is dribbling. My question was more on "did he travel when he stopped his dribble and was now kneeling/seated on the floor (assuming that he doesn't stand up while holding the ball)?"
Doh! My mistake, I didn't read it carefully enough. The answer is no, it's not a travel unless he stands or attempts to stand.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apologies To Casey Stengel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Show me where a "pivot knee" is described, mentioned, referenced, or defined in the rule book. It sounds suspiciously like the "pivot cheek" a coach tried to tell me about when his player landed on his cushion holding the ball.
Actually, the "Curly Neal Pivot Knee Rule" is in the same section of the NFHS Rulebook as the "Turn The Other Cheek, Not The Pivot Cheek Rule". You can look it up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And offer a quick prayer for victory.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Doh! My mistake, I didn't read it carefully enough. The answer is no, it's not a travel unless he stands or attempts to stand.
Exactly. What he does while he's dribbling cannot be a travel. However, once he terminates his dribble, then the travel restrictions begin and any subsequent violation would be a travel.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What if he is merely lifting his knee to turn and clearly not attempting to stand?

Rather than officiate by all of these cutesy rules of thumb that people create, I'd prefer to only penalize a player when he actually does something illegal.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What if he is merely lifting his knee to turn and clearly not attempting to stand?
Impossible, as I understand the application of the rule. Lifting the knee is "attempting to get up."

Quote:
Rather than officiate by all of these cutesy rules of thumb that people create, I'd prefer to only penalize a player when he actually does something illegal.
I agree with this, but don't understand what it has to do with this thread.