The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55689-traveling.html)

actuary77 Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:55am

Traveling?

A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor. Is it a travel as soon as he stops the dribble? Or would this be similar to the rules when there is a scramble for the ball?

jdw3018 Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:00pm

A player can't move beyond prescribed limits when holding the ball. The player was dribbling when his knees went to the floor, obviously this isn't traveling because he's dribbling. He then stops the dribble with both knees on the floor.

Has he moved beyond prescribed limits when holding the ball?

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19pm

The "Curly Neal Rule" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary77 (Post 640052)
A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor.

The infamous knee on the floor traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot knee is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 640056)
A player in this situation may also.....request a timeout.

And, if proper, we will grant a timeout. Boy - I love this new terminology! (referencing another thread on "calling" a timeout)

bob jenkins Sun Dec 06, 2009 04:47pm

Quote:

On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released.

Disagree. As soon as the "pivot knee" (sic) is lifted, the player has attempted to stand. Violation.

Adam Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary77 (Post 640052)
A1 is dribbling, slips but continues his dribble. His knees are now touching the floor. Is it a travel as soon as he stops the dribble? Or would this be similar to the rules when there is a scramble for the ball?

At the end of the rule book is a list of "Basketball Rules Fundamentals." Read them, as they are very helpful.

Fundamental #6 states: "It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble."

Adam Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:25pm

I'm not from Missouri, but

Quote:

The infamous knee on the floor traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot knee is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot knee may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout.

Show me. Show me where a "pivot knee" is described, mentioned, referenced, or defined in the rule book. It sounds suspiciously like the "pivot cheek" a coach tried to tell me about when his player landed on his cushion holding the ball.

grunewar Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 640096)
Disagree. As soon as the "pivot knee" (sic) is lifted, the player has attempted to stand. Violation.

This is also how I have been taught - and how I referee it.

actuary77 Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:53pm

I apologize if I misunderstood your replies. :confused:

I was not asking whether A1 traveled when he slipped but continued the dribble. I clearly understand that no travel can happen when he is dribbling. My question was more on "did he travel when he stopped his dribble and was now kneeling/seated on the floor (assuming that he doesn't stand up while holding the ball)?"

Adam Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary77 (Post 640105)
I apologize if I misunderstood your replies. :confused:

I was not asking whether A1 traveled when he slipped but continued the dribble. I clearly understand that no travel can happen when he is dribbling. My question was more on "did he travel when he stopped his dribble and was now kneeling/seated on the floor (assuming that he doesn't stand up while holding the ball)?"

Doh! My mistake, I didn't read it carefully enough. The answer is no, it's not a travel unless he stands or attempts to stand.

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2009 06:38pm

Apologies To Casey Stengel ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 640102)
Show me where a "pivot knee" is described, mentioned, referenced, or defined in the rule book. It sounds suspiciously like the "pivot cheek" a coach tried to tell me about when his player landed on his cushion holding the ball.

Actually, the "Curly Neal Pivot Knee Rule" is in the same section of the NFHS Rulebook as the "Turn The Other Cheek, Not The Pivot Cheek Rule". You can look it up.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:25am

Quote:

And offer a quick prayer for victory.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 640106)
Doh! My mistake, I didn't read it carefully enough. The answer is no, it's not a travel unless he stands or attempts to stand.

Exactly. What he does while he's dribbling cannot be a travel. However, once he terminates his dribble, then the travel restrictions begin and any subsequent violation would be a travel.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 640096)

What if he is merely lifting his knee to turn and clearly not attempting to stand?

Rather than officiate by all of these cutesy rules of thumb that people create, I'd prefer to only penalize a player when he actually does something illegal.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 07, 2009 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 640244)
What if he is merely lifting his knee to turn and clearly not attempting to stand?

Impossible, as I understand the application of the rule. Lifting the knee is "attempting to get up."

Quote:

Rather than officiate by all of these cutesy rules of thumb that people create, I'd prefer to only penalize a player when he actually does something illegal.
I agree with this, but don't understand what it has to do with this thread.