The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Mechanic(s)

I am new to this forum, though I have been a SO for several (many) years. In the past I have had help with mechanic questions from several close friends, but am finding they are "retiring" the older I get,and so aren't current.

To the points - two man mechanics

a) on a two shot free throw, does the low official (at the lane) give a short whistle if the first throw goes through the hoop? Somewhere I picked up that mechanic (short whistle blow) - still needed, allowed, preferred, etc?

b) on any free throw, where does the top official stand? I have used a position at the sideline farthest from the table, on a line with the free throw line extended, indicating the # of shots until the ball is passed to the free thrower, then beginning a count as to how long the thrower has the ball prior to release, the other hand raising up to start the clock (on the second of two shots, or the first shot of a 1 & 1) - okay on the position as it allows me to see if the shooter violates along with watching the players behind the 3 point line.

Does someone have a link to a good mechanics handbook?

Thanks

Bob
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Welcome to the forum. I'll start with a question of my own. Are you registered with CHSAA?

Now, to answer your questions. There is no mechanic for blowing the whistle after the free throw. Maybe some old timers here will know different, but I've never seen nor heard of it.

On your second, you've got the positioning correct; but don't forget you've got half the players on the lane as well.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

There was a mechanics change this year. In b) your positioning is correct BUT you are tableside...
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I think what you may have picked up regarding the whistle after a made FT is on the occasion where even though you may have said two shots - they go after the rebound or grab the ball out of the basket to make a throw in on the first. Since players usually stop on the whistle some will give a short blast as to say "hey guys we have another". Its definitely not something you would use on every made FT, just when getting players to wake up.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Chssa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'll start with a question of my own. Are you registered with CHSAA?

Now, to answer your questions. There is no mechanic for blowing the whistle after the free throw. Maybe some old timers here will know different, but I've never seen nor heard of it.

On your second, you've got the positioning correct; but don't forget you've got half the players on the lane as well.
I was IAABO for basketball, CHSSA for softball, both several years ago. I let the certifications lapse due to personal life issues, and are just now getting back into enough "rec" games to feel comfortable with possibly recertifying. Though at age 60, don't know if I want to start that cycle all over again. Comments? I may recertify just to have the patch (though the level I call doesn't have any requirements)

As for the blow, easy to stop.

And per the second response post above, the positioning has apparently changed this year to tableside for the top official (though too many of my partners at the level I call at don't know, don't care).

And, yes, I forgot to state that I had the near side lane (3 players) as well as the free thrower, AND the players above the free throw line.

Bob
In "it" for the exercise, a couple of $, AND the kids
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcdenver View Post
b) on any free throw, where does the top official stand? I have used a position at the sideline farthest from the table, on a line with the free throw line extended, indicating the # of shots until the ball is passed to the free thrower, then beginning a count as to how long the thrower has the ball prior to release, the other hand raising up to start the clock (on the second of two shots, or the first shot of a 1 & 1) - okay on the position as it allows me to see if the shooter violates along with watching the players behind the 3 point line.
I agree with your positioning with 2 exceptions:

1. As already mentioned, the new NFHS mechanic is to have T tableside for free throws.

2. I do not stand at the sideline, but rather 1/3 to 1/2 the way between the sideline and the lane, and a step above the FT line extended to get an angle on the 2 lane players who are mine.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Whistle ???

A twist. I believe that the IAABO manual, and possibly the NFHS manual, states that we are to blow the whistle before a free throw after a time out. How many of us actually do that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Though at age 60, don't know if I want to start that cycle all over again. Comments?
Absolutely, why not, sounds like you like the exercise and helping kids. Age is just a number. We need good officials out there.

Quote:
As for the blow, easy to stop.
After the first throw if my partner is sleeping and doesn't see the new subs, I will give him a toot or two.

Quote:
And, yes, I forgot to state that I had the near side lane (3 players) as well as the free thrower, AND the players above the free throw line.
As the trail in two person you will have the shooter, the top two opposite the lane and everyone behind the 3 pt line.
Quote:
In "it" for the exercise, a couple of $, AND the kids
Me too, although the money just recoups expenses
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A twist. I believe that the IAABO manual, and possibly the NFHS manual, states that we are to blow the whistle before a free throw after a time out. How many of us actually do that?
Ooooo, a calculus question.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not sure CO is using the new FED tableside mechanic.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Absolutely, why not, sounds like you like the exercise and helping kids. Age is just a number. We need good officials out there.

After the first throw if my partner is sleeping and doesn't see the new subs, I will give him a toot or two.

As the trail in two person you will have the shooter, the top two opposite the lane and everyone behind the 3 pt line.

Me too, although the money just recoups expenses
Well, THAT kinda stinks.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Another possible whistle situation is, after a made FT, blow the whistle to allow the sub in for the shooter.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

...and the first 3 rows of the band.