The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:44pm
M.A.S.H.

I'd check with this group. I'm sure they'd be able to get you your answer.

Official Homepage of Anchorage Sports Official's Assocation
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Yes we do. Just trying figure out, if and how, anyone else took steps to wear the greys. Can a association adopt them without going through the state? Just looking for some insite or help. thanks
I think the myth that people keep holding on to is that the NF has oversight over their officials. They do not have that kind of power. The NF is only as strong as the states allow them to be. There is no one size fits all answer. If your state or organization wants to use a different shirt, they can do that. The only ramifications are when the overseeing body (not the NF) says it is not OK. All I know is my state the IHSA dictates all these things. The NF has absolutely no say over what our officials do. And even local associations have no say. The IHSA licenses us and we pay dues to that organization to be allowed to work for their membership. I am sure this works similarly in your area, even if it is not decided at the state level.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I'd check with this group. I'm sure they'd be able to get you your answer.

Official Homepage of Anchorage Sports Official's Assocation
been there, done that. my original and still part of association
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

What Rut says is absolutely true. The NFHS has no formal "power". Most state athletic associations recognize the NFHS as the ruling body and therefore use the NFHS rules. But many of them still exempt themselves from certain aspects of those rules.

This would apply to what officials wear, and is why nobody on this board can answer the question (unless they also live in the same state/work for the same association and know the answer).
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
What Rut says is absolutely true. The NFHS has no formal "power". Most state athletic associations recognize the NFHS as the ruling body and therefore use the NFHS rules. But many of them still exempt themselves from certain aspects of those rules.

This would apply to what officials wear, and is why nobody on this board can answer the question (unless they also live in the same state/work for the same association and know the answer).
just tryin to understand what steps if any they took to get it done. Doesn;t matter if they are in my area or if they work for my association. Does this mean we can make up our own dress code?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just tryin to understand what steps if any they took to get it done. Doesn;t matter if they are in my area or if they work for my association. Does this mean we can make up our own dress code?
Again, I don't know if you can make up your own dress code. It depends on whether your association has the authority to make its own call on things like that. If not, then it is likely up to your state association to make that call.

I'm starting to get confused as to what the question actually is.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Guys Are Just Making It Too Easy For Him ...

Quote:
Does this mean we can make up our own dress code?
Another straight line for Mark Padgett?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Allowed here in ND. I never liked them. I think they make you look like someone who is driving a golf cart at a tournament. There is something to be said for tradition and the credibility that one gains from a traditional uniform. When we change uniforms (not only year to year, but week to week with BB shirts) it lessens our credibility. Now we've got grey, stripes with panels and regular stripes. Yikes!

Here, the grey is fading (pun intended) in its popularity. Most are going back to stripes.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:58pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Vermont has the gray as an alternate. Maine uses the gray exclusively. I believe New Hampshire does as well. Here in Florida as others have stated, the gray is used.

Back in the day, the shirts were gray, no stripes, a navy collar and a zippered front. That day was late 70s, so the zebra shirt is not necessarily the 'tradition'.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe we should do a poll
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Vermont has the gray as an alternate. Maine uses the gray exclusively. I believe New Hampshire does as well. Here in Florida as others have stated, the gray is used.

Back in the day, the shirts were gray, no stripes, a navy collar and a zippered front. That day was late 70s, so the zebra shirt is not necessarily the 'tradition'.
My first recollection of basketball games goes back to the late '50s. Now this was in northern Ohio and things may have been different elsewhere, but in HS ball I have never seen anything but stripes until the last few years when the gray became the latest fad. I have played, coached or officiated since 1959 and stripes are the traditional credible uniform in basketball for me. My first basketball game as an official was in 1973.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Here in Ontario it depends on what city you're in.

I've worn both- currently rocking the stripes but I think I prefer the feel of the polycool grey as opposed to the micromesh stripes....
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:45am
Do not give a damn!!

It must also be noted that anything dealing with mechanics, official’s uniforms or procedures (outside of rules) the NF has absolutely no power in what a state or organization does. They do have say over rules applications and that is limited in that area if a state wants to use a specific interpretation or application of a very specific rule. So if a state or organization wants to wear a different uniform that would be their right to do so. Mary Struckoff has addressed this publicly at a conference I attended and she gave an example of a state that used a very different 2 Person mechanic that was not at all conventional or in the philosophy of the NF Official's Manual. She said the NF could do nothing about it.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

we just wanted the option. If we felt like changing for a game of two. Just for something different. thanks for your input
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

"The ink is black. The page is white." (Three Dog Night) ...

Connecticut was almost exclusively an IAABO state for boys basketball about thirty years ago. Gray jersey with a blue "Byron" collar, blue piping, and an IAABO "sewn on" (not embroidered) patch. Gray T-shirt. Choice of black, or blue, pants. Acme Thunderer whistle with a cork "pea". Black "shoelike" (not "sneakerlike") shoes with ripple soles that I got resoled by a local cobbler every few years. Optional blue IAABO jacket with gray crew neck collar and gray piping.

Can you hear Barbra Streisand singing in the background? "Memories, Like the corners of my mind, Misty watercolor memories, Of the way we were..."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2009 at 07:42am.