The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Question Horrific Partner!

Okay, I know this has been on the threads before (at least I imagine it has, and no I'm not going to search. Afterall, this is what this website is for, no?) but when, if at all, do you decide to "help" your partner out?

I did a girls JV game last night and right off the bat my partner started complaining about being sore after ONE game. As we go over pregame he informes that he is always wrong since he's been divorced twice now (what that has to do with basketball, I'll never know.)Then he leaves he jacket at home and has to walk out with his basball umpire jacket on.

When we get out on the floor he doesn't blow his whistle loud enough for anyone to hear it. When he blows his whistle (5x the entire game, including out of bounds) he'd run to me and whisper to me what he had.

At halftime he tells me how he "black out for the last five or so minutes" and didn't know what was going on! At each timeout and end of quarters I'd talk to him about things we both could improve on, but it was like it went in one ear and out the other.

There were no handcounts when he called a 5-second closely guarded violation. His signals were all off. I could go on and on...

I finally decided to take over and call more things in his area. Was I wrong in doing this? I know I'm not perfect, but c'mon.

What is the best way to deal with a partner that is just not confident (this is his 6th year) when he is out on the floor?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Get in, get done, get out.

Maybe call your assignor for an FYI.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Some of this I would just write off as an annoying patner to work with. The off court commentary is one thing, but you describe someone that really has no business officiating. My hunch is that everyone in the gym knows it but him, so you just "get in, get done, get out".
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
Okay, I know this has been on the threads before (at least I imagine it has, and no I'm not going to search. Afterall, this is what this website is for, no?) but when, if at all, do you decide to "help" your partner out?

I did a girls JV game last night and right off the bat my partner started complaining about being sore after ONE game. As we go over pregame he informes that he is always wrong since he's been divorced twice now (what that has to do with basketball, I'll never know.)Then he leaves he jacket at home and has to walk out with his basball umpire jacket on.

When we get out on the floor he doesn't blow his whistle loud enough for anyone to hear it. When he blows his whistle (5x the entire game, including out of bounds) he'd run to me and whisper to me what he had.

At halftime he tells me how he "black out for the last five or so minutes" and didn't know what was going on! At each timeout and end of quarters I'd talk to him about things we both could improve on, but it was like it went in one ear and out the other.

There were no handcounts when he called a 5-second closely guarded violation. His signals were all off. I could go on and on...

I finally decided to take over and call more things in his area. Was I wrong in doing this? I know I'm not perfect, but c'mon.

What is the best way to deal with a partner that is just not confident (this is his 6th year) when he is out on the floor?

Regarding his umpire jacket, you could have told him not to wear it along with your jacket, at least you'd be in sync on that level.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Regarding his umpire jacket, you could have told him not to wear it along with your jacket, at least you'd be in sync on that level.
... or at least told him not to squeeze the strike zone so you could get in and out a little quicker.

But, seriously, GIGDGO really does apply here. Reach as you must to prevent the absurd from taking place. And definitely give your an assignor a tap on the shoulder on this one. (S)he'll appreciate it. Or at least find the "block partners" tab on your assigning software, if you have it.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
... or at least told him not to squeeze the strike zone so you could get in and out a little quicker.
I think you mean widen the zone
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:36am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Get in, get done, get out.
OK, this has become a popular saying here. So, you follow this as opposed to?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I am waiting for Bob Jenkins to come in and tell his side of the story.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaref View Post
i am waiting for bob jenkins to come in and tell his side of the story.
lol !!! :d
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Two observations.

First, there is a big difference between six years officiating, and having six first years of officiating.

Second, reaching and helping is a contentious issue. We should be able to trust our partners and watch our area. But on a rare occasion where you get a partner who simply does not belong on the floor, I think you have to consider extending some. The best advice I've been given on this is that the farther you have to reach, the bigger it needs to be.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 01:31pm.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I am waiting for Bob Jenkins to come in and tell his side of the story.

Nice!!!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
The best advice I've been given on this is that the farther you have to reach, the bigger it needs to be.
Exactly. Everything has its time and place.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
OK, this has become a popular saying here. So, you follow this as opposed to?
If you're asking what the alternative policy is, perhaps it's trying to fix every screwed up call and to tutor an official exhibiting invincible ignorance.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
First, there is a big difference between six years officiating, and having six first years of officiating.
Or, as we say in the baseball forum: there's a difference between six years' experience and one year's experience six times. (Copyright Jim Evans)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:48pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If you're asking what the alternative policy is, perhaps it's trying to fix every screwed up call and to tutor an official exhibiting invincible ignorance.
I asked because this is what I do every game. I can't be Captain Save A...

If you know what I mean, you know what I mean!