The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul Procedure

When a player is shooting a technical foul are all of the players on the floor required to be behind the half court line or behind the three point line / freethrow line extended? I thought it was only required to clear the lane spaces and I have seen it done both ways.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
When a player is shooting a technical foul are all of the players on the floor required to be behind the half court line or behind the three point line / freethrow line extended? I thought it was only required to clear the lane spaces and I have seen it done both ways.
It is only required to clear the lane spaces. Some officials think differently, however. They are wrong.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It is only required to clear the lane spaces. Some officials think differently, however. They are wrong.
Rule reference please? My books are in my truck, and I thought it was "behind the 3 pt line and ft line extended"

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Rule reference please? My books are in my truck, and I thought it was "behind the 3 pt line and ft line extended"

Thanks!
You are right, and I'm sure that's what snaqwells meant. The restrictions are the same as a 'regular' free throw with the lane cleared.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From BillyMac's Misunderstood Rules List.....

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Then the players would be allowed to huddle with the coach as long as the coach was off of the floor and the players stayed on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the players would be allowed to huddle with the coach as long as the coach was off of the floor and the players stayed on the floor.
Just like in any other free throw situation - as long as they aren't violating any of the free throw and coaching box restrictions they are fine.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
You are right, and I'm sure that's what snaqwells meant. The restrictions are the same as a 'regular' free throw with the lane cleared.
Precisely. The restrictions are the same as for any player not along the lane during a free throw; but they apply to all players. It's the same as if there is a free throw with time expired. There is no requirement to move them behind the division line.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
With the added condition that the coach is in the coaching box, yes.