The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul Procedure (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55651-technical-foul-procedure.html)

Gargil Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:18am

Technical Foul Procedure

When a player is shooting a technical foul are all of the players on the floor required to be behind the half court line or behind the three point line / freethrow line extended? I thought it was only required to clear the lane spaces and I have seen it done both ways.

Adam Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 639574)
When a player is shooting a technical foul are all of the players on the floor required to be behind the half court line or behind the three point line / freethrow line extended? I thought it was only required to clear the lane spaces and I have seen it done both ways.

It is only required to clear the lane spaces. Some officials think differently, however. They are wrong.

vbzebra Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 639575)
It is only required to clear the lane spaces. Some officials think differently, however. They are wrong.

Rule reference please? My books are in my truck, and I thought it was "behind the 3 pt line and ft line extended" :eek:

Thanks!

jdw3018 Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 639579)
Rule reference please? My books are in my truck, and I thought it was "behind the 3 pt line and ft line extended" :eek:

Thanks!

You are right, and I'm sure that's what snaqwells meant. The restrictions are the same as a 'regular' free throw with the lane cleared.

grunewar Fri Dec 04, 2009 09:09am

From BillyMac's Misunderstood Rules List.....

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.

Gargil Fri Dec 04, 2009 09:30am

Then the players would be allowed to huddle with the coach as long as the coach was off of the floor and the players stayed on the floor.

jdw3018 Fri Dec 04, 2009 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 639590)
Then the players would be allowed to huddle with the coach as long as the coach was off of the floor and the players stayed on the floor.

Just like in any other free throw situation - as long as they aren't violating any of the free throw and coaching box restrictions they are fine.

Adam Fri Dec 04, 2009 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 639579)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 639581)
You are right, and I'm sure that's what snaqwells meant. The restrictions are the same as a 'regular' free throw with the lane cleared.

Precisely. The restrictions are the same as for any player not along the lane during a free throw; but they apply to all players. It's the same as if there is a free throw with time expired. There is no requirement to move them behind the division line.

Adam Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 639590)

With the added condition that the coach is in the coaching box, yes.