The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Dealing with Coaches

Tomorrow night I have my first high school game. It's a freshman B boys game, and I was looking for simple advice as to dealing with coaches. Any tips?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Answer questions, ignore commentary, and nip the chirping in the bud.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Answer questions, ignore commentary, and nip the chirping in the bud.
Word.

Answer questions and work hard!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Tell them pre-game during the meeting that if they have any questions, wait until a break and then you'll be glad to answer them.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Be approachable and don't call anything you can't explain

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach argues any of your calls, then puke on his shoes!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:38pm
Huck Finn

1. Do not try to be clever in your communication with a coach.
2. Answer questions, not comments.
3. Do not ignore bad/unsporting behavior.
4. Be nice, until it is time not to be nice!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely answer questions. But perhaps you shouldn't exactly ignore commentary. Definitely don't respond to commentary as if it were a concern you need to address. But it is often beneficial to acknowledge comments. You can do that with a head nod, an "I hear you", an "I understand", an "I'll watch for it, Coach", etc. That way they know they've been heard and won't feel compelled to repeat themselves because they think you weren't listening the first time.

Don't initiate conversation with coaches unless you have an issue to address with them.

If a coach raises a concern, or asks a question about a call listen closely to what he/she is asking, and to what he/she is really asking. Answer with as few words as possible. Then move on. This is a skill you'll develop over time.

Often newer officials are intimidated by the prospect of interacting with coaches because they're afraid they'll get in a situation where they don't know what to say and will look weak or somehow "lose" the interaction. This interaction is an area where it's okay to fake confidence until you really develop it. Be conscious of your body language. Smile. Slow down. Breathe. Relax your shoulders. Listen, then respond. Speak softly and calmly, especially if the situation is tense. If you just don't know what to say, at least try to say something positive. "I'll take a closer look at that, Coach" or "I'll find out for you, Coach" or "You may be right, I'll watch that more closely." or "That's not what I saw, Coach" or "As I understand it, ..." etc. And sometimes it's okay to say, "You're right, Coach, I kicked that one" or "You know what? I didn't like that call very much either."

Be aware that the vast majority of Freshman B team coaches are seasoned coaching veterans, know the rules of the game quite well, and will focus 99% of their attention on their players. Or not.

Truthfully, this level of ball is rife with new players, new officials, new coaches, new table crews and ignorant parents. Understand that there will be a lot of mistakes on everybody's part, and you need to show a lot of patience. Inexperienced coaches will usually give you exactly as much crap as you will take. They sometimes times turn their frustration at how poorly their team is playing and how inadequate they feel as coaches on the officials. So be prepared to address coach behavior firmly, but professionally if it becomes an issue. Keep your comments directed at the behavior, not the person. "Coach, you know I cannot have you yelling at me across the floor like that" or "Coach, I need you to coach your team and let me and my partner work."

Most of all, have fun out there. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 06:44pm.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If a coach argues any of your calls, then puke on his shoes!
Did I miss a mechanics change? Aren't we supposed to stare at his pants first?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:49pm
Huck Finn

BITS, I disagree. Yes, you will hear a coach's comments, but I would say don't acknowledge them. I say something about this to the coaches when I talk to them before the game. I would assume this is a two-man game and I would discourage all but necessary communication when you only have four eyes and two brains focusing on what is going on with the game.

I would also say this, for a first high school game an official has more to worry about than a coach. Talk as little as possible to him/her and worry about the game.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Tomegun,

In my experience I have found it beneficial to acknowledge some comments. I should qualify that, however. General play-by-play and mindless chirping pass without acknowledgement just fine. But comments directed right to the official, that express an actual identifiable expressable concern, those are what I acknowledge. "They're palming every time" or "23 is in the key all night" or "they're moving on their screens". That is the the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The coach has a concern (legitimate or not), wants it addressed, and needs to know that you heard him.

What I've found happens if I don't acknowledge him is that he'll bring it up the next 10 times I'm in front of him. It's annoying. It feels like he's harping. It gets under my skin. But often all he wants is some indication that I heard him.

It doesn't take much. A nod or shake of the head is often enough. You don't even have to do anything about his concern. But let him know somehow that you heard it.

YMMV
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 09:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication ...

COMMUNICATION WITH COACHES

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tomegun;638773]1. Do not try to be clever in your communication with a coach.

Coaches won't understand anything clever anyway and it'll truly be a wasted effort!
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Tomorrow night I have my first high school game. It's a freshman B boys game, and I was looking for simple advice as to dealing with coaches. Any tips?
DON'T!

Don't deal with coaches.
Deal with a good pregame so that you don't have to deal with problems.
Deal with appropriate questions asked politely at the appropriate time.
Deal with your primary.
Deal with communication with your partner(s).
Deal with your mechanics.
Deal with what you actually see, not what you think you might have seen.
Deal with what you hear, not what you think you might have heard if necessary.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Tell them pre-game during the meeting that if they have any questions, wait until a break and then you'll be glad to answer them.
I would not bring this up at the pre-game meeting.