The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Head coach and captains meetings

NFHS rules: Is the Head Coach required to attend the captain's meeting? If he/she does not attend and sends an assistant coach, the head coach forfeits the right to the coaches box to that assistant? I believe they changed this a few years ago but can not find it in my old information.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

State by state on this one, I believe.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

"Hello, coaches. My name is Skippy and this is my partner, Sparky. We'll be the ones issuing the technicals tonight. Now, who wants to buy foul insurance?"
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

This would be in Illinois.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 04:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Since Mark officiates in Neverland (where he is known as Captain Hook), I wouldn't worry too much about his response. I'll just say that in CO and IA (the two states where I have first hand experience), there are separate meetings for coaches and captains. As far as I know, there are no punishments for a coach who sends an assistant. We just grab the HCs and have our little pow wow and move on. I've never had a coach not want to come, it's just expected.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Since Mark officiates in Neverland (where he is known as Captain Hook)...
Just wait until I get my hands, er, hand, on you, Tinkerbell! AAARRRGGGGHH!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
NFHS rules: Is the Head Coach required to attend the captain's meeting? If he/she does not attend and sends an assistant coach, the head coach forfeits the right to the coaches box to that assistant? I believe they changed this a few years ago but can not find it in my old information.
Quote:
This would be in Illinois.
I am not aware of any such rule.

Regardless, he certainly wouldn't "forfeit" it to that assitant. Only the Head Coach is allowed to be in the box.

In my area, this isn't an issue as the Head Coach always attends the meeting.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

The coaching box is a state issue. The pregame meeting is also a state association issue. There is only a provision in the NFHS rules book to meet with the head coaches, I don't know of anything requiring the referee to meet with the captains prior to the game. So the states are free to handle this issue as they please.

In my state we have a brief chat with the captains to say hello and not much else, then go over and introduce ourselves to each head coach separately and confirm that the uniforms are legal and that sporting behavior will be displayed.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

This has been and always will be pointless

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Around these parts, we've been told that if the head coach cannot be bothered to attend the c/c meeting and sends his assistant, the assist will be recognized as the head coach for the game. Think of it as a field promotion.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 06:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The coaching box is a state issue. The pregame meeting is also a state association issue. There is only a provision in the NFHS rules book to meet with the head coaches, I don't know of anything requiring the referee to meet with the captains prior to the game. So the states are free to handle this issue as they please.

In my state we have a brief chat with the captains to say hello and not much else, then go over and introduce ourselves to each head coach separately and confirm that the uniforms are legal and that sporting behavior will be displayed.
I'm going to attempt to change this, in the games I'm the R anyway. I didn't like it at first, but I like meeting with both coaches and game admin because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
This has been and always will be pointless
I want to let the coaches know we will answer questions a) when we can, game permitting and b) when the official in question gets back around in front of them in the natural flow of the game. I also (gently) let them know we will answer questions and not comments.

It is the closest thing they will get to a warning from me.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In PA, the head coach is required to attend the captain's meeting, and we have been instructed that we are to ensure he or she does attend so that we do not have to explain that the assistant who did attend is the head coach for the night.

This is, of course, coming from the PIAA, which insists that during your head coach and captain meeting, you read their Sportsmanship Statement verbatim from a provided card. Our district interpreter has made it clear that anyone memorizing all four sentences and not producing said card at the meeting will be penalized in evaluations. One of my favorite partners leaves reading glasses at the scorer's table expressly for this purpose.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 09:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here In The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box.

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur from 5 to 10 minutes prior to start of game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school Athletic Director and CIAC.

We have a few head coaches who would rather eat glass than talk, rather than yell, to officials face to face. It's a power trip for them to not participate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We have a few head coaches who would rather eat glass than talk, rather than yell, to officials face to face. It's a power trip for them to not participate.

Perfect and accurate example why this is a waste of time. Feel free to remind him or her as your whackin them about the 2min heart to heart you had with them earlier. You will get more done in the relm of game management during time-outs and dead balls then you ever will during a pre-game meeting. And seventeen year old is looking for his girlfriend or parents the whole time.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In IL -- only the head coach can answer the "is everyone legally and properly equipped?" question.

If the head coach is available (read: on the floor), s/he must attend the meeting. If s/he refuses, write a report to the state.

If the head coach is not available (dealing with an injured player, caught in traffic, in the locker room, etc), have the meeting with the assistant, and then verify the equipment question with the HC before the game starts.