The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Time out administration for 2 man

For NFHS mechanics, the calling official always stands center court front or back of circle depending if it is a 30 or 60, correct?

And does the off official always stand at where the ball will come back into play?
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 04:12pm
This IS My Social Life

T.o.

Others please correct this if it's wrong, but yes that's the postioning. Unless the throw-in will take place near where either bench is gathering for a time-out, then the offical with the ball will position himself somewhere nearby but not necessary at the exact spot, less he be standing right in the middle of the time-out huddle.
Right?
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

FALSE

The whistle is blown for the timeout.
The ball is transfered to the non-calling official.
The throwin spot is determined and the official responsible for that spot (no matter who called the timeout) will, after the timeout is reported, proceed to that spot with the ball while the other official proceeds to halfcourt.

Basically, imagine that a violation was called at the location of the ball. Whoever will administer the throwin to follow such a violation will be the one to go to the spot. The other official goes to half court.

Examples:

Lead calls timeout with the ball in the paint....lead reports timeout and, since the throwin spot is on the lead's line, the lead returns to the endline with the ball to mark the spot....trail goes to half court.

Lead call timeout with the ball on the opposite side and above the FT line. Lead reports timeout and goes to half court. Since the throwin spot is on the trail's line, trail goes to the spot.

Trail calls timeout with the ball in the paint.....trail reports timeout and, since the throwin spot is on the lead's line, the lead stays at endline with the ball to mark the spot....trail goes to half court.

Trail call timeout with the ball on the opposite side and above the FT line. Trail reports timeout and goes to half court. Since the throwin spot is on the lead's line, lead goes to the spot.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

We are told that the official the grants the timeout always goes to administer the throw in, no matter where it is. So if I'm T and the ball is in the paint and I grant the timeout and report it, I go administer the throw in following the timeout.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
We are told that the official the grants the timeout always goes to administer the throw in, no matter where it is. So if I'm T and the ball is in the paint and I grant the timeout and report it, I go administer the throw in following the timeout.
HHHmmm.......?
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have been told that there is no switch on a time out. So you remain in the same positions regardless of what official granted the timeout request.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 05:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When in Rome. Pregame this.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
I have been told that there is no switch on a time out. So you remain in the same positions regardless of what official granted the timeout request.
Hence the "We are told" that I threw in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
When in Rome. Pregame this.
Yep. There has never been a consensus on this issue. Everywhere does it differently.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hence the "We are told" that I threw in there.

Yep. There has never been a consensus on this issue. Everywhere does it differently.
Amen. Here we have gone back to standing on the blocks or arcs. And I've never heard any discussion allowing or prohibiting a switching during a TO.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The question was asking about what the NFHS mechanics are. If you're doing anything other than what I stated, it is certainly OK if your area has chosen to do it that way but it is not the NFHS mechanic.

There may or may not be a switch depending on where the throwin spot will be....leads sideline in the FC but above FT line with cause a switch....all others spots will not.